Using the SQ lounge at SFO

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by tomh009, Feb 6, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    There was a thread on that other site about using the SQ lounge at SFO, but never any real conclusion on whether we have access to it. It should work based on *A rules and all that, but no confirmation.

As I'll be in SFO next week (on a YYZ-SFO-YYZ), I think I'd like to give it a try. Does anyone know where it is relative to the AC gates? And can I assume it's worth the walk (and the risk that the walk might be for nought)?

2. Jasper2009
    Original Member

Jasper2009 Silver Member

Status Points:
    In theory you should have access to the SQ lounge as a *G, but afaik it´s not located in the same concourse as the AC gates, you´d have to go through security twice (and the security may not even let you through). The only lounge near the AC gates is a pretty mediocre RCC IIRC.

3. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, not 100% confident of getting through security or admitted into the lounge. But if I arrive early enough at the airport, I'd like to give it a try. Especially if the lounge is good!

4. Jasper2009
    Original Member

Jasper2009 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The SQ SKL probably is better than the RCC, but it doesn´t seem very impressive:
    www.loungeguide.net/wiki/u/San_Francisco_(SFO)_Singapore_Airlines_SilverKris_Lounge

Small lounge, limited opening hours, no food in the C/*G section... I probably wouldnt be too bothered, I´d rather get a snack and drink at Starbucks and avoid the hassle.

5. maradori
    Original Member

maradori Silver Member

Status Points:
    I tried to go to the SKL last month, but be warned they open pretty late. I was on the redeye SFO-YYZ that left at around what ... 9:45pm or so. Boarding was at 9:15 and I think the SKL opens at 9 ... so I didn't have enough time to find out

You should not need to re-clear security. From the AC gate area, go through the AC/AA security checkpoint, then head left and walk quite a long distance to the UA eh-leet security checkpoint. Nearby, there is a airside walkway to the international terminal -- once you go up the escalators, the int'l RCC is immediately to your left ... you'll have to take a narrow corridor to the SKL

YULtraveller and tomh009 like this.
  6. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think the 9 PM opening pretty much vetoes this idea -- thanks for the info!

7. I used the lounge two weeks ago however it was with my UA card.

8. rehoult
    Original Member

rehoult Gold Member

Status Points:
    What route were you flying why fly? Seems that they are letting people use it for international flights, but haven't been clear if they are considering Canada international.

9. janyyc
    Original Member

janyyc Silver Member

Status Points:
    The last time I was in SFO, I went to check, but the lounge was closed... ;)

10. yyzgigi
    Original Member

yyzgigi Active Member

Status Points:
    If it is open you should have access. I use for a mid day flight before they closed around noon. Although it is in the Int wing it is all connected within security. In theory when the new AA terminal opens AC is moving temporarily to the Int pier so you might as well get aquainted with the area and it beats the RCC IMHO.

11. janyyc
    Original Member

janyyc Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd figure... Anything beats the RCC - including most terminal areas... :p

12. rehoult
    Original Member

rehoult Gold Member

Status Points:
    Be nice, the international RCC in SFO isn't that bad.

13. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The opening hours are the problem -- it really opens too late for the SFO-YYZ red-eye. :(

14. janyyc
    Original Member

janyyc Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hehe... ;) Use the RCC I guess? :p

15. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll have to resort to quantity rather than quality! (Oops, am I being a bad influence to a minor?) :rolleyes:

16. janyyc
    Original Member

janyyc Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was actually thinking the same!! Didn't want to write it though... :p

yyzgigi likes this.
  17. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have no shame! ;)

18. janyyc
    Original Member

janyyc Silver Member

Status Points:
    Indeed you don't! But sorry, what's there to be ashamed of!? :eek:

tomh009 likes this.
  19. Rejuvenated
    Original Member

Rejuvenated Gold Member

Status Points:
    I usually prefer to spend more time in the hotel and arriving at T3 closer to the departure time than spending time @ the RCC there.

janyyc likes this.
  20. b8b

b8b Silver Member

Status Points:
    On an award trip soon and wondering about lounge access at SFO: if I am traveling LH First from FRA (LH) - SEA -SFO (UA) - LAX (UA), would I be able to access the IFL at SFO?

21. maradori
    Original Member

maradori Silver Member

Status Points:
    For the SFO-LAX portion, don't think so. I think the SFO IFL is only for p.s. first and global first. You might want to try asking the United forum though.

22. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    Had no issues with the SQ lounge on the red-eye flight earlier this year. it was timed a bit better so i had at least 30 minutes there before boarding.

My flight from SFO left from the international terminal and was very close to the SQ lounge. AC gates in general are very scattered (you'll notice signs directing you to different concourses depending on the flight).

The SQ lounge is a bit quirky in access. They admit star golds on international trips and carefully mark it down, but turned away united paid business class customers.

Nothing too special in the lounge.. I use my SQ comb in the mornings, but not a huge fan of their shaving cream.