Using the Cap 1 Venture card as an 'alternative SPG card'

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by HighPlainsDrifter, Jul 20, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. HighPlainsDrifter

HighPlainsDrifter Silver Member

Status Points:
    One of the pleasures of the travel junkie game is when you run into a major unexpected benefit. For me the first one this year was finding that the Chase OnePass Plus card comes with primary rental car insurance. Another was when booking a Starwood property using the Cap 1 Venture card, acquired under the Match My Miles promotion, generated an unexpected Cap 1 points bonus. Booking this with an SPG card of course would yield one bonus SPG point per $ spend - perhaps 2 1/2 cents in additional value or even more in some circumstances such as a cash and points redemption. However, the Cap 1 Venture bonus points certainly put this card in the same league, and gives you additional options such as using Priceline which comes with a 4 point bonus.

Bonus points (above the two points for all Cap 1 Venture purchases) and
    note this is for online (not walkin) bookings:
    Starwood:
    Four Points +2
    Sheraton +3
    Westin +5

Redemptions:
    general travel credit 1 point = 1 cent
    Fairmont, Hyatt, Ritz, Raffles 64,500 points = $900 gift card

Other hotel bonus point offers - online only:
    Baymont Inn +4
    Cambria Suites +5
    Clarion +5
    Comfort Inn/ Suites +5
    Days Inn +4
    Econolodge +5
    Fairmont +15 (!)
    Ho Jo +4
    Hotels.com +6
    IHG +5
    KnightsInn +4
    MainStaySuites +4
    Marriott +2
    Microtel +4
    Priceline +4
    Quality Inn +4
    Ramada +4
    Rodeway Inn +5
    SleepInn +5
    Super8 +4
    Travelodge +4
    Wingate +4

Conclusion: The Cap 1 Venture Card is competitive with the SPG Amex even at Starwood properties in many situations. It may be the overall best hotel card, if you are willing to accept the odd premise of earning in one set of hotels (Starwood, Choice, Wyndham, IHG, Fairmont) and redeeming at a largely different set (Ritz, Hyatt, Raffles, Fairmont).

Nelumbo, icurhere2 and JohnDeere19 like this.
  2. lili
    Original Member

lili Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you. That is very interesting and I had no idea.

3. icurhere2
    Original Member

icurhere2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Due to the current redemption levels, the CapOne program is quite beneficial for accruing points on other purchases as well.

lili likes this.
  4. lili
    Original Member

lili Gold Member

Status Points:
    Coins? How would one investigate these benefits?

5. icurhere2
    Original Member

icurhere2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are many fairly aggressive promos through this CapOne Mileage Mall. Even a 5 bonus points per dollar opt-in on $45+ Rite Aid purchases through the end of September, something I've not seen elsewhere but enough of an incentive for me to transfer prescriptions and pay at the back counter ...

6. lili
    Original Member

lili Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. I use the card regularly, but haven't investigated the website as well as I should have.

7. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    this card has some nice advantages. i started making a spreadsheet that compared this, the amex plat, and SPG as to which retailers had the best return at common sites. C1 won out on quite a few. Of course SPG was capped at a "value" of roughly 2-2.5 cents for general purchases but could double-dip with click-throughs on sites like US shopping mall

8. al613
    Original Member

al613 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do you need to book these hotels through their Travel Agency, similar to XP? If yes you might not get base points on your spent at hotels through SPG, etc.

9. Stubtify

Stubtify Active Member

Status Points:
    Cap1's offers are sometimes very good, but their reward Mall is BURIED. Literally you need to be hunting for it to know it is there. If anyone else hasn't found it click on Explore Rewards and then Earn More along the top of the new window that pops up.

Be sure to compare to other awards malls, for me almost always its better to use another CB site, or an award mall that lets me double dip, as the venture already nets 2 points/miles per dollar, but those points I equate to 1 mile with another actual FF program.

10. HighPlainsDrifter

HighPlainsDrifter Silver Member

Status Points:
    Most of the online deals require that you click through the Cap 1 Rewards website to the the online merchant but not to an inhouse travel agency. For example Westin requires that you use the embedded link on Cap 1 to Westin.com which is really a subpage on Starwoodhotels.com. I was able to also get a stay credit booking this way under SPG's current Free Resort Nights promotion. The bricks-and-mortar merchants have a minimum spend in some cases - for example $10 at Subway for 5 bonus points per $. (For comparison purposes eating $9214 of Subway sandwiches would earn a $900 Hyatt certificate using Cap 1 (i.e. 64,500 / 7), or 9214 SPG points using SPG Amex).

al613 likes this.
  11. al613
    Original Member

al613 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I see. The only thing you'll be missing is any other bonus you can earn through sites like ebates or airline rewards malls. Compare on evrewards.com or similar sites.