Using the Air Canada prize from Star Megado

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by gooseman13, May 4, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. gooseman13

gooseman13 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not sure if this is the right form to post this...but back in September I won the two J tickets on AC from the Air Canada/Aeroplan event in Montreal. Many of you gave me your tips on how to best use it...and its finally come time to put together a plan. I've put some ideas together, but I thought it would be fun and also helpful to me to tap the expertise of our community, so I'd love to hear any ideas you all have.

Here are my preliminary thoughts....

• Planning a trip to Asia, so most likely will fly to HKG. As far as I can tell, the trip books in C class so should accrue points. I'm thinking of signing up with Aegean to accrue the points, as I have no other Star A status, just a lot of miles with UA.
    • I live in San Francisco, so will get up to Canada...I was hoping to fly from YYJ, YVR, or YYC via YYZ, but it appears that all of the flight options from those cities transit through YVR only.
    • I jumped in on the recent Rangoon fare sale, so if that stands up I will be flying back from there. I'll use a mileage plus award for my intra asia travel (RT from HKG, thinking to KUL with a stopover in HKT). I'll buy a separate ticket to RGN from KUL, if everything works out I will change my return flights to HKG and back to Canada for a later date.
    • Might try to throw in a night in SGN (24 hr "connection" on the award) and use the remaining free cat 1-4 night from Hyatt CC at PH Saigon. In HKT maybe a paid stay at Le Meridien Khao Lak.
    The trip will be in early June. Nothing is set in stone so if you have any recommendations I'd love to hear. As a little background, I've already been to HKG, BKK, DPS, SIN, so that's why for the most part I'm interested in travelling to other places on this trip.
    Happy travels!

Jimgotkp likes this.
  2. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like the idea of getting to HKG and then going onwards from there. HKG is a premium fare market, so getting availability may be more difficult, but from there, the fares will be more manageable to KUL. If you have BA Avios points, its 20K per person on CX from HKG-KUL (15K to BKK).

I would definitely recommend seeing VN or Camobdia. Lots of rich culture and very inexpensive.

While I think SYD would be the best bang (esp as you have not been there), the AUD is pretty high right now, and the HKG placement would be better for your RGN trip.

Jimgotkp likes this.
  3. gooseman13

gooseman13 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks canucklehead. I failed to mention that I've been to AUS once before. Liked Melbourne but Sydney didn't do as much for me.

4. gooseman13

gooseman13 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Here's my latest crazy idea, take AC to SYD stay a day or two, and then take Scoot's inaugural flight to SIN. Any thoughts on that - is it worth $180 for a trip on the inaugural?

5. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    Lousy weather in Sydney in June. Having been to Vietnam a couple of times I would say try something new. PH Saigon is my favourite property ever.

canucklehead likes this.
  6. gooseman13

gooseman13 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks Toula...anything particular about Vietnam you recommend?

7. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's very hot in Vietnam right now (was there earlier this month). But if you go, it's a great country to see. Land in SGN in the south, make your way up north through the central highlands to Ha Long Bay, and leave from HAN.