Using Skymiles out of Singapore

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by martin231071, Mar 22, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. martin231071

martin231071 New Member

Status Points:
    Hello, I live in Singapore now and wonder what airlines / destinations I can go to using my Skymiles (DL)?
    Is it possible to book C flights on AF from SIN to SYD using Skymiles? Tx,

misman likes this.
  2. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    martin231071,

Welcome to MP.

AF does not fly SIN-SYD - not sure you can fly the AF flt# that is a codeshare with BA or QF on SkyMiles. An option on SkyTeam may be with Korean.

Also, you can only book award tickets in Economy or in Business (not First) on ST partners using SkyMiles.

robin

cennas likes this.
  3. martin231071

martin231071 New Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, I know only Y and C are available using Skymiles, no F class at all. Any idea if those can be booked online, DL skymiles website?

4. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    Under normal circumstances, only DL, AF, KL, AS, and HA awards can be booked online. Right now, AF/KL business awards are not bookable at all (even by phone) because of an IT issue. Being SIN-based, look to KE, CZ, CI, MU, VN, and MH (for the moment...they're joining oneworld and so the partnership will end sooner or later) for your award travel. AF/KL (once bookable again) will be good if you want to get to Europe.

cennas and rwoman like this.
  5. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    KE does publish a fare routed SIN-ICN-SYD, so it should be bookable outside the blackout dates. I'd guess VN and CI will be easier to make work, since there's less travel in the wrong direction.

cennas and rwoman like this.
  6. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I figured you'd be able to add to this!! :)

7. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Vietnam is a lot less out of the way from SIN than Korea is.

What do you mean by this? Barring a migration or unusual schedule, wouldn't loads be about the same in either direction on a given carrier?

rwoman likes this.
  8. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm referring to Deltamatic's difficulty with pricing awards on routes DL doesn't fly. They tend to default to MPM-based rules, and I'm thinking that SIN-TPE/SGN-SYD will come closer to fitting within the MPM than SIN-ICN-SYD, since that routing is twice the great circle distance SIN-SYD. If the carrier involved publishes a fare routed as you're trying to do, there's usually an override mechanism that can be invoked, but you have to know to ask and the agent has to know how to do it. Routing US-Asia via AMS/CDG is a prime example of something that should be possible if on AF/KL metal the whole way, since they publish fares routed that way, but DL doesn't make it easy. It does seem that people have good luck getting things like JFK-ICN-AKL all on KE since they have a fare published that way, but I've not heard how much difficulty they have with it.

cennas, NYBanker and rwoman like this.
  9. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Gotcha.

mtkeller likes this.
  10. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP martin231071!