Using RPUs

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Switch2, Oct 19, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Switch2

Switch2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Question for you experts. I have 2 RPU that expire oct 31st, So i booked a ticket for November and tried to use the RPU before it expired. It was rejected and can only be used to "fly" before the expiry... is this how it's suppose to work?

2. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think its supposed to "used" by the expire date.

And by "used" i think that means BIS flight.

i'm not expert but that's how I interpret it.

3. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    It simply means that you must fly by October 31. Your last recourse for a November flight is to call CS to request an extension, which is a very long shot...

traveltoomuch likes this.
  4. Xyzzy
    Original Member

Xyzzy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think such a request is a l:)ng shot at all. I've made such requests and had them honoured.

5. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    As a 1K and nearly 2MM, I was denied having one extended by one day, from February 29th for a March 1st flight.

And this is after I explained to the rep (who was very nice) and supervisor (who was not so nice) the reason I needed it was because I VDBed a week earlier in a 32-seat oversold and downgauge situation.

6. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    So, had I...pre-merger. Have you done it lately...as in "after 03/03/2012"?

7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes. Exceptions suck, don't they? ;)

As the OP is in the month that the certs expire I bet the odds of it working are much higher than those for el Capitan.

8. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you think that what I said somehow supports your ridiculous position on so-called "unstated benefits", then think again...It is not even relevant.

I bet you that 'Xyzzy' has not attempted to get an RPU/GPU extended post-merger. If s/he has succeeded then it is, in fact, the exception that supports the rule (a CSR not in the know, e.g.). Most who had tried to have upgrade instruments extended under old UA had succeeded, and I am sure that Xyzzy was referring to that experience, not knowing that things have changed...capece?

9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    What is not relevant? The rules explicitly state no extensions. Many people have reported success in extending a month or two during the month the cert is due to expire. Even after 3.3. My experience is one of such reports.

And, yes, it is an exception to the regular rules, something which happens all the time.

10. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    The silly obsession with the fringes is a really sad commentary for someone so apparently knowledgeable....

Just keep me out of this obsession with cases so small they are nothing more than standard statistical noise... REALLY.