Using PMUA Type B Travel Credits Post 3/3

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Rob, Mar 20, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
    Prior to the 3/3 Passenger Service System (PSS) switch, pre-merger United (aka PMUA, or sUA for subsidiary United Airlines) issued Type B travel credits for a variety of reasons, commonly when someone was Voluntarily Denied Boarding (VDB). Pre-merger Continental issued electronic travel certificates. The process for using Type B travel certificates has changed very little post 3/3. You can get a reservation put on hold over the phone or by going online and selecting a payment option of cash. You can mail in the certificates to United at (see https://pss.united.com/web/en-US/content/booking/flight/offerCode.aspx):
    United Airlines
    P.O. Box 1394
    Houston, TX 77251-1394

Contrary to the text on the webpage linked above, it's also possible to get these reservations ticketed at the airport still, depending on the airport staff. So far, airports where at least one person has reported successful ticketing are: ALB, ATL, BOS, IAD, LAX, ONT, ORD, SAN, SFO. Airports where at least one person has reported being denied are: JFK, CLE. You should not be charged the airport ticketing fee.

If you do decide to mail your travel certificates in, please note the text on the webpage. If it's within 14 days of travel, they'll charge you the full amount, then refund you when they receive the certificates. If it's outside of 14 days, they'll charge you the difference between the full amount and the amount on the certificates. Note that in the past, they would ticket reservations ordered by travel date, so someone sending in certificates for travel in May would probably be ticketed before someone sending in certificates for travel in September. As far as I can tell, all other rules regarding Type B certificates are still valid; I haven't tried booking a ticket including a non-United Airlines or non-United Express flight.

Minnesota Bruin likes this.
  2. Scott Schmidt

Scott Schmidt Silver Member

Status Points:
    As recently as January, I have also had success redeeming Type B certificates through my Travel Agent... Though others have said they couldn't.

3. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
    updated list of acceptable airports in original post based on reports from FT

4. Minnesota Bruin
    Original Member

Minnesota Bruin Silver Member

Status Points:
    Timely post! I was just about to ask what the SOP was.

5. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Being someone who went through this recently, let me tell you ....it sucks.

Agents at ORD said they could not do it. But one was helpful enough in saying that I should try to snag a CO person (this was on 3/4, mind you), and they could probably do it. Every CO person was shadowing UA folks, helping with SHARES, so I could not get it done. So, I mailed the certs in to the Houston address.

A couple of days before the flight (mailed in the certs two weeks ahead), the reservation was still not ticketed. I called up 1K line, an agent was VERY helpful, mentioned that Houston got ALL the impending stuff sent from Detroit, and were working on them. And THEN would get to the stuff mailed directly to Houston. After an hour, the lady on the 1K line called me back and said she got me pushed to the head of the line and processed.

desamo likes this.
  6. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
    Being someone who went through this recently, let me tell you...experience varies. It didn't suck for me and in fact worked just fine.
    Made reservation 4/5, mailed certs 4/6, certs showed as received on 4/9, ticketed this morning 4/14, for travel on 4/27. Other than my initial phone call to make the reservation, I didn't call in once to check on the ticketing. As far as I can tell, everything looks correct with regards to crediting the travel vouchers and only charging my credit card the additional collection. The 'Redeem Upgrade' button shows up on the website (some people had reported not being able to upgrade online) although there's only R space on one segment so I'm not bothering to actually go through that.

desamo and Flyer1976 like this.
  7. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Now if they would just process my 2 reservations that I have with CO ETCs (It's been more than 10 days now).

goalie and desamo like this.