Using OnePass Miles to upgrade a Star Alliance flight?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by tahewett, Feb 19, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. tahewett
    Original Member

tahewett Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey gang,

My mom's 65th birthday is in October and the family has decided to head for England (where my folks are from) for a few days visiting family, and then on down to Spain for a week or so. My wife, daughter and I would likely meet them in SFO before heading for London as a group, since Mom (now Grandma) wants to ride over together.

I like the sentiment but am looking for a way to avoid doing the TATL leg in coach, as I'm 6'5". We're looking at flying on United since my wife and I are both CO Silvers so we should get the E+ for free, and I've already convinced my folks (not regular flyers) that E+ is worth paying a little extra for on a TATL leg. So that's the fall-back plan.

Now, my questions...
    • I've got ~140k of OnePass miles so I'm thinking if we all buy economy tix, I can use them to upgrade us to Business?
    • Does anybody have the chart to show me how many miles I'd need to do a Star Alliance Upgrade Award for each of us? (Actually, that's probably good info just to have available here on MP for future users)
    • Is it too much to expect that I'll be able to find 5 seats available to upgrade to on a United SFO-LGR/LGW leg?
    Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Getting *A upgrades is rarely a decent value if you are paying for the tickets yourself. You must purchase a Y or B fare from the carrier operating the flight and the upgrade is per-segment rather than per-direction (so SFO-YYZ-LHR would require paying for SFO-YYZ plus YYZ-LHR). The rates for the upgrades are available here and the details about the program are here.

Getting the seats will be a significant challenge. It requires regular award inventory and getting 5 of those on the same flight will be impressive.

tahewett likes this.
  3. tahewett
    Original Member

tahewett Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. That's what I thought, but was hoping to be wrong. Ah well, I guess for this trip we'll be in E+. But at least I'll have that many more miles for just the wife and I to redeem.

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do remember that as an elite you can get someone else in E+ in addition to yourself so your family won't all have to pay for it.

tahewett likes this.
  5. tahewett
    Original Member

tahewett Silver Member

Status Points:
    Now there's a benefit I wasn't aware of. Thanks! I assume this is done with a call to the OPSC?

6. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Call OP Elite line; Ask them to transfer you to UA Elite Line; Ask UA to put everyone in your party in E+.

tahewett likes this.
  7. tahewett
    Original Member

tahewett Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks!

snod08 likes this.
  8. Agreeing with all the above w.r.t. to *A upgrades; sadly, they simply not useful to most people, the old LH agreement was much better because the booking classes involved were MUCH more reasonable ...

tahewett likes this.