Using mom's free room certs

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by pnoeric, Aug 25, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. pnoeric

pnoeric Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi, my mother got the Hyatt credit card with the 2 free room night certs, but she's not going to be able to use them by the end of the year (when they expire). She wants to give them to me for an upcoming trip. I see that the fine print says they can't be transferred, but could she make a res for me and then I check in at the property? The certs are electronic so they would be pulled from her account when she makes the reservation, I assume. Thank you-- E

2. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think the only workaround might be to book in her name with you as an additional guest. I know someone that does Starwood stays like this with a relative and never sets foot on the property, even though she gets the stay credit and pays the bill. Her stays don't involve promotional award nights, though.

The big question is still whether that complies with the terms of the award certificates and if Hyatt's going to allow it. I wouldn't want to show up at the property and find out that Hyatt won't let you check in. As much as you may not want to, I think the only secure way to set this up, if it can be set up at all, is to get Hyatt to sign off on it.

pnoeric likes this.
  3. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Jaimito Cartero Silver Member

Status Points:
    This will probably work with Hyatt. Always be prepared for the worst, of course.

pnoeric likes this.
  4. pnoeric

pnoeric Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks guys. Sounds like I should talk to Hyatt.

5. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Jaimito Cartero Silver Member

Status Points:
    And they will probably tell you that you can't do it. Sometimes it's better to ask for forgiveness. ;)

pnoeric likes this.