Using Miles to upgrade to Business

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by davidbbrenner, Mar 9, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. davidbbrenner

davidbbrenner Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi all, this one is probably a no-brainer for the experts out here, but I don't know if what happened was because there was a mess up, or if that's the way it is supposed to happen --

On Feb 28th, before the merger, I expended 15,000 miles to upgrade a Y class ticket to business flying on March 5th. Showed as waitlisted, and the miles were deducted from my account. Then, after the merger, while the miles were still deducted, I no longer showed up as a waitlist, or pending or anything. I called the service center and 28 minutes later, was told that "under the new system, it's controlled by the gate agent once it's inside the window." Fine. But I was surprised (and told the service center) that I wasn't showing up as "waitlisted" on the United app. But again he assured me that I wouldn't see it on there, and given that nobody else was listed there (at the time) I figured it was just a "merger thing."

So I get to the gate agent, who really was working his butt off to try and figure out why now somebody else was showing up on the waitlist, but I wasn't, even though the 15,000 miles were deducted. He couldn't figure out why, but he was also under the impression that the miles weren't taken out, they were just "pending" to come out, but I know they were taken out. I watch my miles balance like a hawk :)

So his research showed that I was in an "Upgrade - Not Cleared" status, and that he could not manually add me to the waitlist. He and his coworker opened up some sort of magical code book, and 20 minutes later, they booked me into a business class seat, so all is well.

So now the miles hit my account and I get credited with a "Z" class fare, vice my original "Y" class, which of course, given the length of my flight, is an extra bonus of 1,061 miles, making the true "cost" of my upgrade to 13,939 miles. I was under the impression that any "bonus" miles are based on the code of your original ticket, or in my case "Y". How come I ended up with credit for Z? When upgrading with miles, do you always then get "Z" credit, or was it just some magic he had to do to put me in a business class seat?

Thanks for any insight you can provide, and love the site!
    dave

2. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    It was a mistake, just smile and say thank you to the cosmos.

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yup.

Rather than fixing the problem the "right" way (likely because that would be too difficult with the systems the way they are) they just forced you into the upgraded seat. Take it and move on.

[​IMG]

4. davidbbrenner

davidbbrenner Silver Member

Status Points:
    Interesting, and thanks for the feedback! Now mind you, I am NOT going to ask them, but out of curiosity, because the system was continually showing an upgrade that never "cleared", while I get it, maybe it's Christmas in March if it happens, but I wonder if some "auditing" system will see that the upgrade never "cleared" and I'll all of a sudden see 15,000 miles recredited to my account .... which OF COURSE, I will promptly notify United of the issue and return the miles ;)