Using miles to go from Sidney to Auckland

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Len Williams, Jan 28, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. Len Williams
    Original Member

Len Williams Silver Member

Status Points:
    I will be in Sidney for a few days soon, and I am curious about creative mileage redemptions between Sidney and Auckland. I've never redeemed miles originating outside of the US before, so any help will be greatly appreciated. This will be for two people.

I have 300K UR points, 59k US AIR, BA 26K, UA 103K

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sydney.

It is only 10,000 Avios o/w per passenger in Y on QF flights. Or 17.5k o/w using UA points for flights on NZ metal.

Len Williams likes this.
  3. SYD

SYD Silver Member

Status Points:
    You might want to check airfares around the time you want to travel. There is a bit of competition on the Trans-Tasman (sea) routes at the moment: QF/JQ/EK, LA, NZ/VA, CI. You can also buy one way fares in either direction. Which is useful for combining miles and pay.

The best seats are EK 1st on A380 (also code share with QF) and their J. LA has A340 J and in the transition to 787. NZ has some 777 with good J and PE, plus some 767. QF J is domestic equivalent. Best Y is a toss up with EK (good chance of a row to yourself), QF and NZ. Last would be JQ and VA. I can't speak for CI but I suspect it doesn't stand out.

4. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    There's also the 17,500 Miles option on US/AA for Business Class on Qantas between SYD/AKL. ;)

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    US does not offer o/w awards AFAIK and it is not clear if the OP needs a return ticket or not. And with only 59k in the US account there's not enough for a return trip for two at that price.