Using MileagePlus points

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Dr Benjamin Pittman, Feb 18, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Dr Benjamin Pittman

Dr Benjamin Pittman Member

Status Points:
    As a member of 15 frequent flyer programs - way too many but it just happened - I have been using accrued points in programs with which I can no longer be bothered, where my business appears not to be appreciated and am consolidating and switching loyalty as part of reducing to around three or four so that I at least cover Star Alliance, oneworld, and Sky Team. Using MileagePlus points has been a real challenge even on Star Alliance. For my major destination of interest from home in New Zealand (France), there is also no way either to book anything other than economy. I have been able to use up points on some regional flights in New Zealand and Trans-Tasman but it proved totally impossible for hotels and rental cars. I still have to use up 35,000 points.

Newscience and uggboy like this.
  2. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP, and good luck building up those miles. :)

Newscience and uggboy like this.
  3. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    [quote=" For my major destination of interest from home in New Zealand (France), there is also no way either to book anything other than economy.[/quote]

Welcome to Milepoint! Many Milepointers can weigh in and provide some advice on this, especially if you can be specific about the airline and routes desired. Have you also tried to see if you can use those miles for a business or first class upgrade, with the purchase of an economy class ticket? I've found that this option is at times available (along with a cash purchase option) for my travel on United and partner airlines from the US east coast to Europe.

4. Dr Benjamin Pittman

Dr Benjamin Pittman Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for your suggestions! For the dates I wanted to travel, there was potential and opportunity to buy and upgrade but I was wanting to use points and not spend yet more money and get more points to add to the collection. Instead I gave up and got a First-Business mix, Auckland-Barcelona return using points in other FF programs to which I belong and which are far better than MileagePlus. In Star Alliance, I much prefer Air New Zealand where I am also a Koru Club member. I accrued points in a number of US-based programs when we had a house in Hawai'i (sold in May 2013) and since I am not likely ever to return to or go via the US ever again, this is another reason for my wanting to get rid of redundant points through various alliance partners.