Using Hilton Honors to Convert BA Miles to AA Miles

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by Vik Murthy, Mar 2, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Vik Murthy
    Original Member

Vik Murthy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Has anyone here used a Hilton Honors account to convert British Airways miles into American miles? Apparently, both BA and AA are airline transfer partners of Hilton.

There is a FT thread that alludes to the practice, but it didn't seem that it was based on any actual experience of executing the process.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...ing-ba-flight-using-miles-transferred-aa.html

Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated.

2. brobbel

brobbel Silver Member

Status Points:
    AFAIK it is not possible to convert BA miles to anything else. It's only possible the other way around (like in the thread you mentioned), but not from BA.

For most conversions you can take a look at
    http://www.webflyer.com/programs/mileage_converter/index.php

It is not completely updated (they still mention a 1:2 transfer from AA to HHonors), but you get the picture.

3. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why would want to convert BA points to HH (unless you are woefully short of HH points)?
    Despite the YQ you will find there are some situations that makes BA miles even more valuable than AA miles for example.

Tenmoc likes this.
  4. PedroNY
    Original Member

PedroNY Silver Member

Status Points:
    You can convert HH to AA, but you will lose a tremendous amount of miles. You will not have a good transfer rate from HH to AA, I think it is 10,000 points to 1,500 miles.

newbluesea brings up a good point, is there a reason for this conversion? You can use BA miles on AA metal and you actually do not have to pay any fuel charge fees. I can imagine you just need to top off you AA account, or you you want to use AA miles for first class international (on CX?), which would be less than BA miles, maybe that is your reason?

Best,

PedroNY

5. Vik Murthy
    Original Member

Vik Murthy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Frankly, the reason I'm broaching this is because I am furiously trying to get Lifetime Platinum status with American.

Truthfully, I don't really care about the HH to AA conversion rate. What I care about is the HH to AA conversion rate RELATIVE to the BA to HH conversion rate. For example, if 1,000 BA miles generates 10,000 HH points which then generate 1,500 AA miles, that would be fantastic. I'd be getting 50% more AA miles than I have as existing BA miles.

If the relative conversion rate is really bad, however -- for example 15,000 BA miles generate 10,000 HH points which then generate 1,500 AA miles, then this would be a non-starter.

It sounds as if you can't convert BA miles to HH points, though. Which renders all of this moot.