Using Hertz points for rentals

Discussion in 'Hertz | #1 Awards/#1 Club' started by ajbyers1348, Jun 18, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. ajbyers1348

ajbyers1348 New Member

Status Points:
    On a trip to Chicago, my husband transferred some of his points to my account so that I wouldn't have to pay for the rental. They said that for 4 days, we would need 2600 points. When I picked up the car, my contract said that the car was $74.49/day. When I picked up my receipt, my car was $219.31/day! I feel we've been scammed on points! They charged us 3 times the amount for a car to jack up the amount of points we had to use. Anyone else have this problem?

2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did you ask Hertz for an explanation?

(welcome to MP)

3. ajbyers1348

ajbyers1348 New Member

Status Points:
    Yes I did. They transferred me around and then sent a basic e-mail ending with this paragraph:
    "For all other inquires, the Hertz #1 Awards Department will respond to questions involving Hertz #1 Awards or if we are unable to process your inquiry. If another department’s involvement is required, we will forward your request. Otherwise, no further communication will be received from the Hertz #1 Awards Department."

4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    If Hertz doesn't want to deal with it, dispute the charge with the credit card company.

What were the $70+ per day for, taxes and fees that the points don't cover?

5. ajbyers1348

ajbyers1348 New Member

Status Points:
    It's not the out of pocket money that is my issue. It's the overinflation of the price in order to use more points to pay for the rental. Theoretically, if my price quoted per day is $74, I should only have used 1/3rd the points since my receipt says that I needed 2600 points to cover the $219 per day.

krh likes this.
  6. ajbyers1348

ajbyers1348 New Member

Status Points:
    the $74 is what the car would have cost if I wasn't using points.

7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I am not an expert in Hertz ponts, but I don't believe the points required for a "free" rental are proportional to the "cash" rate.

Have a look at

http://www.hertz.com/rentacar/emember/rewards-list/loyalty-redemption-points-program

A free day costs 600 points no matter where or what the price is (basically) and four days are listed for 2600 points.

SC Flier likes this.
  8. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:

That's correct, the points are based on the award category that's available and you can't string together single day rates to create a multi-day rental unless you really want to return the car and get a new one each day you do that.

The only cheaper option would have been a weekly rental for 2500 points if it was available.

-David

9. jmgriffin

jmgriffin Silver Member

Status Points:

That was my understanding as well. I thought a free day was a free day, not matter the cash price. Many a few blackout dates included?
    I'm about to make my first Hertz award redemption, will report back how I fare....

10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    My second Hertz reservation is coming up, saving me a boatload of money on a rental car in Alaska.

icurhere2 likes this.
  11. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've used points often in the past and I always make the arrangements by phone. Every receipt I've received had the rate, whether daily or weekly and then the total. Then, from what I remember, it listed a voucher value as a credit, just as if I prepaid the rental. (The amount was equivalent to whatever points I used converted to days/weeks.) Then all that was left was the fees and taxes. My contract also printed out the same info when I left the lot.

12. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    RENTAL DETAILS
    Rate Plan:
    IN: TMDD OUT: TMDD
    Rented On: 08/02/2013 22:57 LOC# 510011
    SAN JUAN, PUERTO RICO
    Returned On: 08/05/2013 12:46 LOC# 510011
    SAN JUAN, PUERTO RICO
    Car Description: SONATA HZT011
    Veh. No.: 1005792