Using FlexPQMs to secure GPUs and RPUs

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Brit, Sep 30, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Brit
    Original Member

Brit Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am already at around 160,000 butt-in-seat miles on United this year. I have enough FlexPQM from my PresPlus card account to take me over the 200k threshold.

As these FlexPQMs are totally useless to me now in terms of qualifying for 1K in future years, or able to be added to my Lifetime mileage, I figured I may as well use them to get extra GPUs and RPUs.

My question, though, is this:

If I apply my FlexPQMs to take me to 200,000 miles for the year, will I be awarded the extra GPUs and RPUs that would be awarded if I had reached 200k by flying butt-in-seat miles?

Had a discussion with two MP'ers yesterday at the EWR Family Fun Day, and we all "thought" they could be used this eay, but none of us were absolutely sure!

So, before I apply them, and do a mini MR to get to 200k, anyone know the definite answer?

Thanks!

8MiHi likes this.
  2. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Isn't there a limit to the number of CC miles that can be converted to PQMs?Are these so-called FlexPQMs different? I seem to recall that they could not be used above 75K EQM under CO but I am not familiar with them...

I am curious because I am now considering an offer from UA/Chase for a United Club Business card as a current UC member... My understanding is that the benefits may be similar to those of PresPlus

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    FlexPQMs are different. And, while they cannot be used to achieve a STATUS level above 1K it is not clear if they can be used to qualify for upgrade instruments above that level.

8MiHi likes this.
  4. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is a bit confusing. If they cannot be used to achieve status level above 1K, then it means that they cannot be used at all above 1K because there are currently no published status levels above 1K...

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Except that the GPUs and RPUs come by earning PQMs, not as a function of status. A MM companion at the Platinum level won't get the RPUs but getting to 75K PQMs does get them. That's why there is confusion as to whether the FlexPQMs can get the additional ones at the 25/50K levels past 100K.

8MiHi and IDGflygirl like this.
  6. Brit
    Original Member

Brit Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, WA! I think UA needs to be more transparent and offer more clarity regarding this. Otherwise, having FPQMs as a high-level FF is absolutely useless, especially as they now expire after 39 months.

8MiHi, unavaca and IDGflygirl like this.
  7. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am aware that one can get additional RPUs and GPUs after reaching 1K by earning more PQMs, but if one can purchase premier accelerator miles to add to their PQM total to get more RPUs and GPUs, why can't one do it with so-called FlexPQMs?

I agree that UA needs to issue clear T&C in this area...

8MiHi likes this.
  8. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think you meant "above Platinum", i.e., they cannot be used to achieve 1K status.

And I don't know what the situation is with earning upgrade instruments. I don't have the FlexPQM-earning card, but I'd want to have it in writing from United that moving those PQMs will actually earn upgrade certs.

9. Brit
    Original Member

Brit Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I definitely want it in writing before I move them.

8MiHi and IDGflygirl like this.
  10. winecountryua

winecountryua Silver Member

Status Points:
    Presently the online process for converting FEQMs to PQMs will not allow conversion once the member's PQM total is above 75K. So even if possible, this will take a phone call -- not sure if the agent's tools can handle conversion once the PQMs >75K.

11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    That isn't a bullet proof block of the scenario in question, though: someone could have converted FlexPQM before getting near the 75k "barrier" and he question then remains whether the RPU/GPU issuing process treats them as normal PQM or filter them out.

I would not be surprised if UA would have to look at the code to figure out the answer ;)

8MiHi likes this.
  12. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Could the 75K EQM limit be because that was the requirement to attain the top pre-merger CO elite level (PE)? I have a sense that this is an area where the merged company's rules have not been carefully considered for program compatibility so that there are really no rules at all...

13. Brit
    Original Member

Brit Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, it's been over a week since I PM'd UAInsider on both MP and TOBB, and I have not had a reply. Will have to try another route, I suppose

14. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I am not sure I understand. At CO 75k (Plat) was the highest level, but it could be reached with FlexPQM, right? So in other words, there was was presumably no restriction with regards to how you could use the FlexPQM prior to the merger, and the new restriction seems rather deliberate.

8MiHi likes this.
  15. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    It could be deliberate...to force 1K to be achieved only by BIS, except that one can purchase PQMs to achieve 1K...so it is really a limit on FEQM more than anything else...

8MiHi likes this.
  16. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I suspect this was in the PMCO code so no one would over deploy their FEQMs (old term) and current UA saw no reason to change it. It would cost time, effort and perhaps upset PMUA FFs who did not have this Card option available. It is unlikely that they spent much time thinking about the GPU/RPU question.
    It would surprise me if they did not give you the certs for your FPQMs, but get it in writing before turning them over. Remember that pre-2012 FPQMs do not expire, so make them use LIFO.

17. IDGflygirl
    Original Member

IDGflygirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    my understanding is that one does not get the choice to do LIFO, it's FIFO, by default.:(

8MiHi likes this.
  18. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I that's true then ARGHH!:eek:

19. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    How would the PMCO code prevent that? You could just "deploy" your FEQM first and then fly and exceed the 75k.

8MiHi likes this.
  20. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    True enough. When I used mine pre-merger it would automatically go to the next status level. There was a manual entry option available that I used prior to my last flight in 2010, but that was to a mileage level below my next status level. About the time the merged program was announced Chase sent me a document indicating that Platinum was as high as they would take you. I wondered then if I used 25K miles immediately then flew 75K through the rest of 2011 if I would get the 1K designation. I did not try it.

21. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Personally I think they are making things unnecessarily complex with rules like this. KISS.

8MiHi likes this.
  22. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    My impression is that it really does not matter. The restriction is that FlexPQM cannot be used after 75K PQM. Prior to 75K PQM, you can have any combination of FlexPQM + PQM. Once that combination reaches 75K, meaning once you reach 75K PQM by which ever combination, the remainder of the way to 1K cannot include FlexPQMs.

8MiHi likes this.
  23. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    That wasn't my interpretation of the new policy and subsequent clarifications. My understanding was that FlexPQM cannot be used to reach 1K status, period. So if you first use 5000 FlexPQM and then fly 99,000 EQMs, you would just get Platinum. You need to get 100k EQM from non-FlexPQM sources to reach 1K. It doesn't matter in what order you use FlexPQMs.

But I could be wrong. I am too busy right now to look for UA Insider's post that clarifies that.

What I did find is this post by UA Insider on Flyertalk:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/16867387-post341.html

Originally Posted by bdraco [​IMG]
    The only question I'm really interested in is do the FEQM count towards additional CR1s and SWUs (past 100k)? While its not completely spelled out, I am going to assume the answer is no as everything is pointing that way.

Hi bdraco, your assumption is correct. Flex EQMs will not be able to be applied to status, Systemwide Upgrades or Regional Upgrades beyond 75K.

snod08 and 8MiHi like this.
  24. IDGflygirl
    Original Member

IDGflygirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for posting all this -- I was not aware of a lot of the info. contained in that FT post regarding the FlexPQMs!

25. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am not sure this is correct. There was a debate also at TOBB and the consensus seemed to be that FlexPQMs could not be used after 75K PQM to reach 1K. Period. It was surmised that this was a way for the new UA to level the playing field since pre-merger UA folks had no flexPQMs. It may also be why they capped it at 75K because that was the old CO top elite level. To reach 1K one has got to do BIS or purchase premier accelerator miles (PAMs) after reaching 75K PQMs...

8MiHi likes this.