Using Expertflyer to help with booking

Discussion in 'SkyTeam' started by TravelBear, May 18, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    I recently signed up for Experflyer and have been putzing around on the site and have a question.

Say I wanted to use my pesos but couldn't find award space on DL.com or EF on DL metal but I was able to find the time and routing I wanted on KLM. Would my next step be to call DL with the specific flights? If so, what kind of experience should I expect?

Please let responses be constructive as I am aware some people will just want to respond along the lines of "Step 1. Don't collect DL pesos.". I am attempting to learn things that I could potentially apply elsewhere.

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    My understanding is that, in principle, EF award space on DL partners is bookable with DL miles, assuming that you look for the lowest mileage level, such as classic awards and upgrade space (inventory class O) on AF. EF doesn't cover DL award space, just upgrades, nor does it cover all SkyTeam partners. Some use the AF USA site to search more SkyTeam partners, although AF space there is probably only for AF FFers with FB miles.

However, be aware the DL and AF/KLM seem to be fighting. A result is that there is virtually NO award space made available for DL miles by AF/KLM. IntraEU flights at unpopular times seem to have some availability according to EF.

You can set alerts on EF in case award space ever does become available. You can also save week-long searches in order to be able to re-do them efficiently.

3. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    I did a search for KLM for this fall and was coming up with Classic Europe Award and Flex Award with seats at 9 for all dates/itins. This should indicate good availability assuming the children are talking to one another....right?

4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can't get flex award space with DL miles.

Are you looking for TATL or intraEU? Coach or business class? I'm surprised if you're seeing 9 classic seats on EF (and not a KLM or AF website), but the classic seats you see on EF should be bookable with DL miles. You could call DL and ask whether they can see these award seats. (I doubt they will appear on delta.dumb, but if they do, try a dummy booking to check.) If you were DM or PM you could try actually booking something as a test, but for you there's a $150 change fee.

5. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have booked JFK-DEL on AF metal by calling DL after EF showed availabilty. DL.com is not that useful in finding award entries with complex routing. I was also able to get the DL agent to have a couple of days layover in CDG for no extra mileage. :)

TravelBear likes this.