Using DME for Transit

Discussion in 'Airports' started by MX, Nov 16, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm building a route and see an option of making a connection at DME (Moscow). Both incoming and departing flights are international, so I assume they will use the same terminal. Can one transit through DME without having to obtain any sort of a Russian visa?

2. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, but if either planes are late / mx you are screwed.

MX likes this.
  3. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Meaning that I may be stuck in the transit zone for a day or longer? Are there any lounges, sleeping pods or hotels that are accessible without crossing immigration (just in case)?

4. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    Paging Mr. Edward Snowden...please pick up the nearest white phone for a totally confidential consultation.

MX likes this.
  5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Was he at DME or SVO?

At SVO, transit passengers are bussed to a nearby hotel that has a special guarded floor (or floors). You can't leave the floor to use other hotel facilities, although you can order food through room service and presumably alcoholic beverages too.

MX likes this.
  6. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    He was at SVO, but the opportunity to bring him into the conversation was too good to pass up.

MX likes this.
  7. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    So I take it if DME has no such emergency arrangements, it's a somewhat risky transit point (at least for Americans). Perhaps someone might remember if there's at least a premium lounge in the transit area?

8. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    There are several

LH
    LX
    OS
    S7
    BA ( used by BA and a bunch of international airlines, including EY/EK/SQ)
    UN

Note that these are contract lounges operating for the brand, so for example LH LX OS are all star alliance, but do not honor star alliance benefits.
    Invitation required. Access to the LX or LH lounge only if flying LX or LH respectively. S7 is a oneworld lounge, but you need an S7 ticket for entry. Flying BA or RJ, they send you to the BA lounge.

UA used to use the OS lounge even though the gate was closest to LH / LX lounge.

Of these the largest are OS and BA.

The only ones with Showers as I recall are OS and BA (LH too, not sure)
    BA accessible if you have priority pass, I believe. ( not sure, check)

Otherwise its a relatively small airport, though the busiest in all of Russia.

If you are willing to spend the night, (visa required), the nearest halfway respectable hotel near the airport is the Ramada, around 5000 rubles a night , $160

Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
    MX likes this.
  9. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    S7 Lounge is also Priority Pass. Open 24 hours according to PP website. Max. 3 hour stay though.

MX likes this.
  10. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, but it sucks. Even transiting to the same flight (with a stopover in DME) sucked...had to fight to get my passport checked. It's a huge cluster**** there.

MX likes this.
  11. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you all for sharing. I'm not sure if I can avoid this transfer, but for now it's back to looking for an easier route.