Using Delta Sky Miles on Alaska Air

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by havaiisteve, Sep 16, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. havaiisteve

havaiisteve Member

Status Points:
    I'm trying to book HNL to ROC next June with a July return and I can only find mid tier on Delta. To get around this, I tried to book the flight on Alaska Air's web site, but they don't provide for ROC? Is there some way to beat this? The best I could come up with was book to BWI on Alaska with sy miles and on to ROC with cash! Is there a better way?

2. flynhwn

flynhwn Silver Member

Status Points:
    You can do it on American. They may put you on Alaskan or Hawaiian on a leg or two but you can get it for 37.5.
    If it has to be Delta, then I've used it to SYR. You can drive or buy a ticket to ROC. I think it was 70k. Delta is not the preferred airline from Hawaii.

3. havaiisteve

havaiisteve Member

Status Points:
    Help me understand here...American isn't a sky miles partner so how can I use sky miles on to book a flight on American?

4. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think the respondent meant, using AS MP to redeem on DL..or, AA. Which you can with MP.

As for your origin al question, why use DL SM on AS? Better to use AS MP on DL, AA, AF, EK...etc. At published levels, woohooo! :p

Stiga9 likes this.
  5. havaiisteve

havaiisteve Member

Status Points:
    DL only had mid tier, 67000 miles. AL is 47,000 to BWI. BWI to Baltimore is $197. The difference in miles is 20,000, at 1.5 cents per point that's $300...or points toward next years trip. 20,000 miles is almost enough for a one way on AL. I think? I'm new to this and wondering if I'm missing something in the way of a better option? Maybe I'm making this to hard...but learning in the process.

Stiga9 and redtailshark like this.
  6. redtailshark

Status Points:
    The math seems correct. You've already learned something.... DL SM is best in class. Really, Jeff Robbo told us so, for years, in many different venues.

Stiga9 likes this.
  7. havaiisteve

havaiisteve Member

Status Points:
    Ok, how would I go about booking with Sky miles on Alaska Air HNL to BWI and then cash for the flight from BWI to ROC with one ticket so that when I drop the bags at HNL I don't have to pick them up at BWI and then check in for the flight to ROC.

Stiga9 likes this.
  8. havaiisteve

havaiisteve Member

Status Points:

Stiga9 likes this.
  9. havaiisteve

havaiisteve Member

Status Points:
    If the Sky Miles are registered in a delta FF account...how can I "Better to use AS MP on DL, AA, AF, EK...etc. At published levels, woohooo!" Can the miles be transferred from DL to AS? Actually, I may be have finally figured out just how ignorant I am. I was thinking I could call AS and book award using Delta miles to get award to BWI. Maybe this is where the confusion begins? If that can't be done...can I call Delta and book an award on AS that is going to code share a delta flight but the miles charged are at the lower AS rate? Or am I still lost!

Stiga9 likes this.
  10. redtailshark

Status Points:
    1. You can't, now that the trips have credited to DL SM.
    2. DL SM is irreversible - there's no way to get those miles out into another program.
    3. You can book AS using DL SM and because AS is a partner, DL's own three-(thirteen) tier mileage scheme does not apply. That does not mean you can book any AS flight you want, at LOW, but it does mean that if AS flights are available at all, they will be available for booking through DL SM at LOW levels. This is your best bet currently.

Future reference: when you fly DL, try crediting the DL flights to AS - redemption is sooo much easier, more transparent and there are no infernal thirteen-tier systems to deal with. It's available - at stated levels - or it's not. Compared to DL's swindle, that does call for "wooohooo."

You see, it is not for nothing that DL SM is widely known and reviled as * best in class *.

Stiga9 likes this.
  11. havaiisteve

havaiisteve Member

Status Points:
    I see said the blind man! Thanks for helping me understand.

SuperKirby and Stiga9 like this.
  12. DiverDave
    Original Member

DiverDave Gold Member

Status Points:
    In fairness, AS has a three tier system as well. If you look at some popular routes, there can be weeks with no availability at the lowest tier.

Refundable Coach Award:
    Refundable Coach Awards offer the most award flexibility for travel in the main cabin. These awards are available on every flight, every day, down to the very last seat on the airplane. Plus, no change or cancellation fees apply.

Coach Award:
    In addition to the Refundable Coach Award, we offer 2 other price levels for award travel in the main cabin. Seats at our lowest price level are limited and may not be available on every flight. Seats at the next level are also limited, but with much greater availability. Change and cancellation fess apply to these awards.

SuperKirby, Stiga9 and redtailshark like this.
  13. redtailshark

Status Points:
    Yes, indeed, AS offers stated award levels.... one, two or three - like US, in fact. In theory, like DL...but, whoa...

My point to the OP was, if he can see partner AS inventory at all on DL.COM, it must be available at LOW.

The second point that needs emphasis is that DL - as we well know - claims to have three levels but award ticket pricing offers gems like 635000 SM from PHL to FCO, not all of which is in J. This number bears no relation whatsoever to the published levels - it is several times higher than the highest published level and cannot be accounted for other than by an unpublished additive pricing logic. You will never find such a mileage demand on AS.COM even for EK First. Many people - not just me - have raised this matter over on FT and other places and find it, to say the least, less than honest conduct.

DL has a swindling system in place that fails to deliver results consistent with the published award requirements. Almost invariably, it requires higher mileage, sometimes multiples. But, Dave, to paraphrase the classic verbiage of LX you are "an experienced frequent flyer of DL and user of SM" so you know this well :)

You, I, Jeff Robbo, and most everyone reading this, also know that DL SM is

[​IMG]mejor en su clase[​IMG]

14. Stiga9

Stiga9 Active Member

Status Points:
    On a different note here...

I have a booked flight on DL in a few weeks. I decided I want to credit the miles to AS, can I do this online?

SuperKirby likes this.
  15. havaiisteve

havaiisteve Member

Status Points:
    Hmmm, First off, do you have an Alaska Air Frequent Flyer Account? If you don't, I'd think you can't. If you have an Alaska FF account number, log into delta or call DL and see if they will change the FF number on the ticket. Failing that, when you check in, see if you can change the FF account number to the Alaska FF number. Somebody may have a better answer.

16. Stiga9

Stiga9 Active Member

Status Points:
    I cant find a way online, I'll call tomorrow. Thanks for the reply.

I think I'm missing something here, but why would I want to credit to AS if I didn't have a AS account?

SuperKirby likes this.
  17. Stiga9

Stiga9 Active Member

Status Points:
    update: I'm an idiot. Of all the links I clicked on (like 40 of em'), I didn't know my FF number was clickable. This is what happens when you try on your darn 4-inch phone.

ETA: and then I look on the app and it's even easier to edit there...

Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
    SuperKirby likes this.