Using corporate codes from other companies

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by FlyingBear, Aug 29, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am looking to book hotel stays for friends at the same place as I am staying, but the rates are a big on the high side for them. I found out that there are corporate codes (not my company), that allow for significantly lower rates. Has anyone had experience with booking with a corporate code and whether any proof was required from them about that corporation? For the chains that my company has agreement with, they just ask if I am with the company and that is that, but I am seeing rate reductions up to 45% and that makes me wonder if there is a bit more due diligence involved with that kind of discount.

2. Rosalia

Rosalia Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi, FlyingBear, I do not understand why you do not book for them with your company's code?
    You are right, rates are much lower, I wish I could have this opportunity, but be careful, they might ask them the company's card.

About Again and marcwint55 like this.
  3. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    My company does not have a corporate code with that chain, I am staying there because of convenience.

marcwint55 and Rosalia like this.
  4. Rosalia

Rosalia Silver Member

Status Points:
    The other way is to book : 21 days in advance, you might get a better rate.

marcwint55 likes this.
  5. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    It was a better rate indeed, by far! But this is for next week :)

marcwint55 likes this.
  6. astraveln

astraveln Silver Member

Status Points:
    Usually the police are waiting at the hotel to check if the Corporate rate code is valid for your stay.

Yes, this is sarcasm since this topic seems to come up on a regular basis.

Booking with another companies rate code, has 2 possible outcomes:
    1) The checkin person welcomes you to the hotel, takes your credit card and honors the corporate rate, that is the end of it.

2) The checkin person is Militant and decides to interrogate you. Asking about your company and demanding photo ID that has your company name on it or a business card. At which point, you must produce fraudulent documentation or sheepishly admit that you dont qualify for the rate and walk away.

Noboby in this forum can tell you what a particular checkin person is going to do! Most people at the front desk are trying to make the process seemless and quick, therefore credit card and id is the standard. Could they ask for your company ID, well absolutely......

The question is wether it is worth it to you! I know my answer as I have yet to be engaged by the Police or Military at checkin.

We cant tell you what to do, but I can assure you that their are many many people breaking some rules. Their are also some that will swear that you are the scum of the earth if you use another companies code.

You decide.........

7. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    About 3/4 of my travel over the past 20 years has been on corporate rates (be it hotels, airlines, car rentals). With the exception of issuing tickets from DL at the old NYC CTO (for that, ID was compulsory and enforced), I've never been asked to provide company ID in any situation.

I've traveled on other company's discounts - where a client booked my room under their rate - or such similar situations. My SPG account was mis-coded as an American Express employee for a while...and I got the Amex employee rates at Starwood properties for a while. Never ID'd on those, either.

Had I been asked if I was an employee when on a client's code, I would have said I was a guest of XYZ Co and here to do business with them.

That said, all of the codes I've been under are financial-type companies. I sort of fit the look of what you'd expect - read: stereotype - of who would be traveling on such companies' codes. If I was a punk with purple hair and turned up with my Merrill Lynch coded booking, perhaps I would have been more likely to have been questioned.

8. dschieber

dschieber Active Member

Status Points:
    Rental car agencies seem to take most shared codes.

marcwint55 likes this.
  9. nacho

nacho Silver Member

Status Points:
    Or BRG :D
    What about using PC points?

marcwint55 likes this.
  10. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not that good of friends for me to use my PC points :)

marcwint55 likes this.
  11. nacho

nacho Silver Member

Status Points:
    You can get them to buy points and use points+cash to generate points :), or pay you for your points :)

FlyingBear and marcwint55 like this.
  12. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not only have I never been asked to provide proof or id on corporate rates, I have seldom been asked to provide id when using a travel agent discount with someone's IATA number.

FlyingBear likes this.
  13. DJP_707
    Original Member

DJP_707 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I use corporate rates all the time and have never been asked for ID. I also use government rates for which i do have ID but only get asked for it less then 10% of the time. And knowing how our government operates the gov. rate is not always the lowest price option.

Rosalia, marcwint55 and FlyingBear like this.
  14. DJP_707
    Original Member

DJP_707 Silver Member

Status Points:

Feel free so to share the corporate rate code that gives you 45% off.

The one I use most often in Ford Motor Company #000103772

marcwint55 and FlyingBear like this.
  15. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't know actual code numbers. but I usually call customer service and have them check IBM, GE or ORACLE. If going to Switzerland, UBS usually has good rates at hotels.

16. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I looked at government rates in Washington, DC and they were way higher than any other discount rate that I found.

The only time I was asked for govt. ID was at the Marriott in San Diego. When asked I said I didn't have any and they still let me check in with the govt. rate.

17. Rosalia

Rosalia Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hello Marcwin55, I am interested to have the UBS code since I go often to Switzerland, and why not other codes : GE or any other. Thanks! F&F rates are also good but no points for this kind of reservation.

londoncalling and marcwint55 like this.
  18. Rosalia

Rosalia Silver Member

Status Points:
    DJP_707, you are very helpful and you know plenty of good hints, thanks for everything.

servo46250 and marcwint55 like this.
  19. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I do not have a code # I just tell them to give me the UBS rate. I would certainly check out other rates, but I have found that UBS being a Swiss company seems to get the best discounts.

FlyingBear likes this.
  20. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am pretty sure that it is location based, but Siemens (000104256) dropped the rate by this much. Online booking was not an issue, even for someone other than me.

Just for the hell of it, I asked in person as well, but was asked for ID. Granted, the person I was talking to was apparently confused as to who exactly I was and has already tried to basically get rid of me on a previous question.

21. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    Interesting, as I mentioned above, I got rebuffed on that, but I suspect that it was due to the guy not wanting to deal with already existing reservation and being an a-hole in general.

marcwint55 likes this.
  22. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would call back and make a new reservation without mentioning the existing one. You can then cancel the old one if the new one is cheaper.

23. FlyingBear
    Original Member

FlyingBear Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was already at the hotel an now have 2 hours before checking out :) Next time!

marcwint55 likes this.
  24. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've booked corporate rates, and always read the rate information pop-up to see if says anything about who is eligible. I won't use a code that says I'm not eligible, but codes that don't say are easier for me to justify. I've never been asked at check-in or any other time. Occasionally I've called the hotel or the central reservations number and asked them to check the rate for the company I work for, and never been questioned (often there is no discount).

25. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    The much-loved PR13CB rate used to be terrific, but I haven't seen anywhere where it works for stays in 2013.