Using companion ticket with a ticket redeemed by miles

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by Mshvidoba, Mar 5, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Mshvidoba

Mshvidoba New Member

Status Points:
    Does anyone know if you can use a companion ticket when the ticket "bought" at $250 is one that is redeemed by miles? Thinking of signing up for the card and redeeming miles for a ticket and taking a companion on same trip. Would this work? Thanks.

2. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    It didn't use to.

The ticket to be used with the companion ticket used to have to be in certain classes, and the "free" award tickets weren't from that fare bucket. I haven't seen the T&C on the current crop of companion tickets, but suspect it could be similar.

3. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    The companion ticket can be used on any domestic (and Caribbean) economy fare of $250 or more (before taxes and fees). You will have to pay taxes and fees for the companion ticket and that companion ticket will book into a revenue fare class so your companion will earn miles and the tickets and they are upgradable with status or with miles if you should so chose. I am almost 100% certain that you can use the certificate on an award seat as it doesn't match the $250 fare requirement.

daninstl likes this.
  4. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Certificate I have has doesn't mention the Caribbean but does allow use from USA into Canada.
    I wonder what would be the best use as a mileage run from STL. I'm thinking a trip to the West coast via Charlotte or something odd like that. It doesn't seem you can book this online either which seems like a pain.

5. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    You have to call to book (pain) but no phone charges cause you can't book this online.

6. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    Does the companion ticket have to book in to a certain fare class (that I can search on Expert Flyer) or is it any available revenue fare class?

7. chz2215

chz2215 Silver Member

Status Points:
    You can book in any available fare class. No need for expertflyer.

8. chz2215

chz2215 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Checked my certificate and my wife's they both said Canada not Caribbean. I wish Caribbean was an option.

9. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    What would happen if I purchased a ticket with two companion tickets and for some reason, I could not make the flight? Is there ANYTHING on the Companion ticket that would void it if they did not travel with the credit card holder?

10. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think of you call ahead and ask reservations to split the ticket into separate PNR's you should be ok.