Using BA (Avios) Miles to book Domestic AA Flights- HELP!

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by SuperW2, Dec 21, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. SuperW2
    Original Member

SuperW2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I’m looking to use my BA (Avios) miles to book AA flights from SFO to ORD next summer and am wondering if the BA website is incapable of doing what I'm looking for or if I'm doing something wrong. I’m using Expert Flyer and I see all kinds of OneWorld availability for my dates (on both AA and BA), yet when I go into BA, select the dates and tell it to search partners, it returns no hits, regardless of Class of Service (I'm actually OK going Coach since the trip is for my family of 4, but can do Business/1st depending on availability/miles, etc.

I can probably go United/Continental if I move some Amex PR/Starwood or Chase Sapphire points around, but would rather use the BA miles that are pretty much doing nothing else for me right now…

Thanks in Advance for any help or guidance

SW2

[​IMG]

2. Globaliser
    Original Member

Globaliser Silver Member

Status Points:
    Your best bet is to use EF to find dates on which there is the correct kind of award availability, and then go to ba.com to see if it shows up there. Don't forget that availability for cash tickets (the image that you've posted) may have very little to do with availability for award tickets; BA can only book awards in economy on AA when AA has the cheaper award seats available (can't remember what they're called - MileSaver?); and you can't book purely domestic itineraries in the US on BA flight numbers.

3. SuperW2
    Original Member

SuperW2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the Reply, I thought that screenshot was award tickets, but I'll go back and check, I'm a new Expert Flyer subscriber, so don't understand everything yet...I think I understand a bit more what your saying.... so I can only book one of the AA "MileSAAver Award" tickets (which appear to be Z, U or T)? If I restrict the search to those classes, I don't see 4 seats on any of those 3 classes on any of the days I was looking (some with 2 or 3 seats, but not 4)

4. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    A quick check both on aa.com and ba.com shows only 3 F seats available (on most of the four daily flights for) a week before and after the date you listed above. In addition on the 25th and 27th shows one coach seat award available.
    So your options are basically to book three F and one coach on the available flight(s) or split your party... booking the required F on different flights.
    Mid-Summer is a pretty high demand period for SFO awards.

5. jerry a. laska
    Original Member

jerry a. laska Gold Member

Status Points:
    Your screenshot is of a regular availability search, you want to use the awards and upgrades option. Then search for the milesaavers as you note. You could also search on aa.com.

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  6. SuperW2
    Original Member

SuperW2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, I've been on the EF Site since I posted this, and understand better now (and have since upgraded to the Premium account), and have been searching for SJC and SFO... I wouldn't mind splitting classes on the same flight (either 3/1 or 2/2) but can't really split into different flights or days with the 2 6-year old's. I didn't see any SFO outbound flights on the 25th/26th/27th with 4 available MileSAAver Award flights across any combo of classes. Maybe I missed it.

I did put in some Seat Alerts to see if there happens to get an additional available in the F (as I'd rather ride all 4 together, but willing to switch if necessary).

SW2

7. SuperW2
    Original Member

SuperW2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yep, Thanks, a couple more hours on EF and I have a better feel for what I'm looking at...

8. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    OK I apologize the info I gave above was for ORD/SFO

HOWEVER I was able to find four F seats on a number of flights on 7/25 connecting in MIA or LAX
    also on the red-eye through MIA on 7/27 plus four or so 7/28 and again on 7/30 either SFO/DFW/ORD or alternately SJC/DFW/ORD
    In addition on 7/28 AA618 dep 515 pm non-stop has 3F and one coach Milesaver awards.

So all is not lost ..a few options available.

9. ExpertFlyer Voice

ExpertFlyer Voice Z Representative

Status Points:
    FYI, Seat Alerts are you alert you when a specific seat or type of seat becomes available on a given flight. In this case, what you want is a Flight Alert which will let you know when a particular award/upgrade/revenue inventory class becomes available. Please make sure you created the correct type of alert (you can double check from the View Saved Alerts page).

10. SuperW2
    Original Member

SuperW2 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, I was confusing my verbiage... I did in fact create a number of "Flight Alerts" to try to get a 4th 1st Class (Z) award seat, or a single Coach (T) on a number of the flights that only had 3 Z's.

Wade