Using Award Miles to Upgrade

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by spagls, Feb 19, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. So I recently read about US Airways' Buy Miles promotion where you can get 100% bonus miles (using their toolbar and all). Instead of redeeming miles to buy a business class ticket somewhere, is it possible to use these miles to upgrade a partner ticket so I could still earn miles for a flight? Or would that not be worth the cost?

rajuabju and travelingmore like this.
  2. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Upgrading flights on partner airlines might be more difficult because you will have very low priority, but I understand your point. As a young guy I don't find Y seats that uncomfortable and would rather not burn miles on free trips that don't earn anything. You will likely have better luck upgrading US flights though. I've never quite figured out how to upgrade UA partners, for example, but I fly them so rarely that I haven't bothered. I've heard it creates more headaches (for example, using UA SWUs on LH).

3. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    US Airways participates in the Star Alliance Upgrade Award program, and you can use your miles to upgrade on the following partners: : Air China, ANA, Asiana Airlines, Austrian, Brussels Airlines, Continental Airlines, LOT Polish
    Airlines, Lufthansa, Singapore Airlines, SWISS, THAI, Turkish Airlines & United Airlines.

You can find the Star Alliance Upgrade Award Chart for US Airways miles here.

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The issue isn't "priority" per se. It is that you are subject to the Star Alliance upgrade program. This requires that you purchase a rather expensive ticket (Y or B fares only) and that the biz award inventory be available. Additionally, if you have a connecting itinerary you must redeem for each segment rather than per direction like most "home" upgrade awards work.

Expecting to get good value from the *A upgrade program - even buying the US miles at half price - is setting yourself up for disappointment.

5. Dr Rumack
    Original Member

Dr Rumack Silver Member

Status Points:
    IMO using US miles for mainland-Hawaii upgrades on US metal is not a bad use, since there are no auto-upgrades for most DM preferred members.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Upgrades on "home" metal are generally still quite reasonable. The problem is when you get partners involved. That's where the affordability and flexibility generally goes down the drain in a hurry.

secretsea18 likes this.
  7. secretsea18
    Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Does this still apply to CO and UA upgrades with miles?

8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    For now CO/UA require use of *A upgrades on each others' metal. That is supposed to change "later this year" but no formal date has been set. Similarly, other upgrade instruments like SWUs do not work between them yet, though supposedly they will later this year.

secretsea18 likes this.
  9. secretsea18
    Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It can't be soon enough for UA and CO to merge their operations for me. Hopefully sooner rather than later!

10. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The marketing starts to merge on Tuesday. I believe that customer day 1 starts mid-April. Not sure what the impact of that mid-April date will be on things like this but I agree that it cannot come too soon.