Using award miles for a round trip ticket to Vietnam

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by prpvll, Dec 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. prpvll

prpvll Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have an issue:

From Jan 2011 to May 2011, I could use my award miles to book for a round flight (standard award) from Austin, TX to Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam for flying between Jan 2011 to Oct 2011. I could book the award ticket anytime even one day in advance (I did this twice).

Since Jun 2011, I notice that if I put in the flight date between Nov 2011 and May 2012 or later for Austin to Ho Chi Minh, the system always throw the error of unavailability. I call 1-800-United-1 and agent still see the unavailability error. Even if I try to book 12 months in advance.

Is there something wrong in the system? Or Mileage plus just disallows the booking between Austin and Ho Chi Minh City?
    I play around with the system since Jan 2011 and start to see this behavior only since June 2011.
    If I try to book between Austin, TX and Hong Kong it works perfectly even for one day in advance. The error occurs between Hong Kong and Ho Chi Minh City.

How should I take this forward? I have like 200k+ of awards mileage and only use them to fly back to Vietnam.

2. 2wheels

2wheels Silver Member

Status Points:
    United.com is not known for .bomb for nothing :) try using continental.com to book the ticket. You can transfer the miles to your CO account then book it for the same price.

I was just able to pull up a bunch of dates in December for UA flights on continental.com

Welcome to Milepoint!

prpvll and Jaimito Cartero like this.
  3. prpvll

prpvll Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wow! Rewards on Continental.com are amazing. I could get a business class seat at the same cost as economy seat on United.
    Thank you 2wheels.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  4. duc1986d

duc1986d Silver Member

Status Points:
    How many points does it take you to book a business reward from Austin to HCM city?
    Since I will book one for my mom next year from Austin to Hanoi as well
    Just curious, is calling the agent the best way to go?

5. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can use continental's website to search for award availability or call continental.

6. prpvll

prpvll Silver Member

Status Points:
    AUS-SGN 60,000 miles
    SGN-AUS 65,000 miles

7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    :confused:

The award charts are symmetrical; there is not a price difference based on origination.

The correct price is 60K o/w in C.