Using Avios?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by ClarkyBoy, May 23, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. ClarkyBoy
    Original Member

ClarkyBoy Silver Member

Status Points:
    All,

As a newly matched ExPLat who intends to start flying AA for the rest of the year, I unfortunately have no AA miles...:)

I do however have over 160K Avios points - what is the process to use them on AA International flights? Do I have to Call BA? Can i call the AA ExPlat line and have them assist? Website?

I assume only BA - but thought it is worth a check based on my past (poor) dealings with BA service.

Thanks a lot for directing me to the right place....

Thanks

ClarkyBoy

Sweet Willie likes this.
  2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Only BA can help you use your Avios, so calling BA or using their website would work out for you. Obviously you can use your Avios for partner flights/activity, but only BA can actually book flights or make upgrades with your points.

MX and Sweet Willie like this.
  3. ClarkyBoy
    Original Member

ClarkyBoy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks DD!

DestinationDavid likes this.
  4. Guzbikes

Guzbikes Active Member

Status Points:
    A couple of tips on getting Avios bookings from my recent experience booking 8 one way award tickets with them:

1. Use the AAdvantage site to find the domestic award flights you want. You should be able to get anything that shows up as Mile SAAver (12500 domestic one-way). Write down the exact flight numbers and times.

2. Now try to find that same flight on the Avios Booking section of BA.com (Executive Club/Spending Avios/Book flights with Avios). If your flight has a connection on the AAdvantage search, you'll need to search for and book each segment separately on BA.com.

For example I'm going from PHX to YVR soon, I found award space on AAdvantage from PHX-LAX-YVR. On BA.com when I searched for PHX-YVR it says there are no available flights. But when I search for PHX-LAX I see an available flight, and when I search fro LAX-YVR I also see availability.

3. If you still can't find the same booking using that method, call the BA Executive Club line. Give them the exact flight numbers and times and once they find it, ask that they waive the phone booking fee since it is not bookable online.

Hope this helps.

jerryhung likes this.
  5. jerryhung

jerryhung Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the tip, Guzbikes, it'll be useful for me, a BA Avios newbie (who only converted b/c AMEX MR 50% bonus, I redeemed for 18K Avios for 2 short-haul flights, yet to be determined where from Toronto)