Using Avios Points

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by Dmh12011, Mar 7, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Dmh12011

Dmh12011 Active Member

Status Points:
    As a newbie to this game I am unsure about booking a flight using Avios. I would like to book a ticket using Avios points from DTW to TY'S leaving April 4 returning on April 7 or 8. Couldn't find available but unsure if I am doing it correctly. Can someone help me?

2. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Understand the DTW but which airport is TY'S?

edekba and emtesenair like this.
  3. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    Do you mean Knoxville (TYS)?

4. emtesenair

emtesenair Silver Member

Status Points:
    I looked up flights DTW-TYS for the dates you specified but there are no award flights.

When you are using Avios to fly short-haul US flights, I find it's easiest to look at award availability either at AA.com or Expert Flyer. You need to look for MileSAAver award space to be able to use Avios to book.

For example, I booked a oneway award from Huston - Grand Cayman in Economy for 12k Avios points instead of 17.5K AAdvantage miles! I first verified availability on AA.com, double checked on BA.com, transfered Membership Rewards to BA and then booked.

Kalboz and MX like this.
  5. Dmh12011

Dmh12011 Active Member

Status Points:
    Yes Knoxville. Guess there is no availability. Trying to help a friend, but thanks

miles and smiles likes this.
  6. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I always use the AA site or EF to check, since the BA site RARELY shows availability more than a couple of weeks out.

7. cc1972

cc1972 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Don't give up. Weird things have happened to me with BA's site. At one point, I could find availability for the days I wanted to fly. Then, there was none. A few days later, still nothing, but then I made a mistake and entered the first day I wanted to fly back and all of a sudden the flights were available again. There was still nothing on the day I wanted to fly out originally, but I just decided to leave a day earlier than I intended to and at least got the ticket to come back on the right date. I don't know why, but it comes and goes... weird!