Using Any Seat Awards to gain or maintain status

Discussion in 'Qantas Airways | Frequent Flyer' started by daedalus, Feb 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. daedalus
    Original Member

daedalus Silver Member

Status Points:
    When Qantas first announced that Any Seat Awards were going to be eligible for Status Credit and Point accrual, people were up in arms about how the frequent spender would now have a way to be elevated to to the status ranks. It seems, now, however, that many are recognising the use of Any Seat Awards as a way of either achieving status, or for maintaining status.

Have you been doing this, and what sort of strategies have you employed to this end?

2. samh004
    Original Member

samh004 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I haven’t myself, though have eyed up a few routes if ever I needed to get to Platinum, or retain Gold, however I don’t think the frequent spender would possess the knowledge of how to find the best JASA/FASA for status anyway, as it’s quite tricky some times.

3. willyroo
    Original Member

willyroo Active Member

Status Points:
    JASA is great for premium seats to holiday locations. The simplest way to use them is to look for U (Classic) availability, then book a JASA fare for that/those flight/s. Even though JASA will book into U class (if that was available), you still get Status Credits and Points for the class flown.

As to knowledge about SCs - very limited and I suggest limited to the travel forums. Like this one.

4. anat0l
    Original Member

anat0l Silver Member

Status Points:
    I suppose the initial concern of 'buying status' (i.e. thanks to accumulating huge numbers of points) was disagreeable because most people couldn't reason it out fully, and simply argued in theory it was wrong. I know I couldn't.

The main reason why people don't seem to mind is that you would need to fly those ASAs to get the status anyway, i.e. you can't just lard up status by spending with the card and not flying.

Let's not forget that not all ASAs are priced the same. Most people here - when they say using ASAs to requalify for status or at least get a good deal - are really meaning that they find ASAs priced at Classic prices. Once the Classic priced ASAs are gone and the costs blow out again, then it isn't worth it unless you have truckloads of points to burn (especially for JASAs and FASAs, where the cost isn't really saying, "Have you got points to burn" as much as, "If you select me and burn this many points, I come with a free one-way ticket to a five star mental institution".)

I haven't used any ASAs to requalify status, but right now I see ASAs as a potential way to travel at Classic but get something back. Of course, this means a real lottery, because:
    • There are very limited Classic seats available online, and once they are gone the Classic priced ASAs are, too
    • As a WP I can request a Classic seat to open up for me (or at least chance for one). I can't do the same for a ASA (or at least a Classic priced one).

5. tuapekastar
    Original Member

tuapekastar Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have taken one (return) JASA trip at not much over the classic price (it helped tip me over PG, not sure that in itself was worth it, but it was a nice trip in J anyway [​IMG]) . I like the idea of them, it gives more flexibility, and they are certainly in the mix for assisting with my planned (well,hoped for) WP status retention next year.

6. Bundy Bear
    Original Member

Bundy Bear Silver Member

Status Points:
    Using JASA has made my requalification for Platinum that much easier. 240SCs out of 1025SCs will certainly help in my requalification.

7. wingspan
    Original Member

wingspan Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is a good point.

I find that I wouldn't really book an ASA if it wasn't for a trip I was planning to take anyway. I just see them as having opened up more options for SC earning potential. But thus far - I've only considered an ASA for a trip I would have to be taking anyway. I've yet to do an ASA just for the sake of earning!

8. drewbles
    Original Member

drewbles Gold Member

Status Points:
    I took a YASA to SFO as it worked out to be considerably less points than a classic award once the WP 100% earn bonus was factored in. It was also around $70 in fines (I cleaned out my balance at the time) rather than the classic which wanted around $300 for SYD-SFO iirc. The SC's were a bonus but I didn't do it for the SC's.

I have a friend who puts almost $100k/month thru his Amex for work, scooping 100k a month in points to his QFF account. He recently earned gold (via paid flying, no JASA's). He has well over a million points in his account at present and earning at 50% bonus. He prefers to use them for international classic awards in J.

I'm doubtful i'd use JASA's myself to re-qual. I'll simply do some SC runs in the LOTFAP (around 700-900 per year typically) and the rest via my QF Domestic flying (300-400 per year usually). I'll stick to the 280k for a OW J 'RTW' award:)

9. samh004
    Original Member

samh004 Gold Member

Status Points:
    On that point, if a cheap ASA is based on the availablility of a classic award, why couldn’y you request a classic seat to open up and then book it as an ASA instead? Is that not possible? Has anyone tried such conniving methods?

That seems stupid to me, they should price fuel fines and whatnot the same for both, the fact they’re not the same seems suspicious. Though if they weren’t the same because you paid more points to cover that cost then that’s different.

10. anat0l
    Original Member

anat0l Silver Member

Status Points:
    I haven't tried and I have thought about such a thing, but my guess is that when they ask yield whether they'll open up a seat for you, it's more of a "take it or leave it" situation. I can't confirm this so I don't know for sure, but my impression is that if you decline the seat offered to you as per your request then it is returned back such that nothing was ever made available.

Now I guess the other option is to request the seat to open up, book the Classic Award, then cancel it (copping the cancellation fee in the process), then quickly rebook it again as an ASA at the Classic price. Again, I don't think this would work.

My guess is just that - remember that the default option with ASAs is 100% points (or whatever your total points balance is plus cash). You can slide this all the way down to the minimum points component cost which matches the Classic award cost, but you can also balance it in the middle. Some will choose to do this, especially when it is realised that some of the points will be "recovered" in flying the route (i.e. via the points awarded for flying).

straitman likes this.
  11. samh004
    Original Member

samh004 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ahh I didn’t realise you had to book it then and there when requesting over the phone, I thought of it more as a call to them to release and then a scramble to get online quickly to book it. Your explanation makes more sense now that I think about it :p

12. Chad
    Original Member

Chad Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wonder if Qantas will rejig these at all? Given that if a classic award is available you can book it as an ASA, your basically getting SC plus a discount on the amount of points needed (after earning on the flight) as well as added flexiblity in case of cancellation/reschedule. I'm sure that isn't what Qantas originally intended.

13. samh004
    Original Member

samh004 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yet through the very nature of the system they’d have known exactly what would happen, so perhaps they were just lazy when it came to implementing a new way of getting award seats. If they changed it to make it more expensive, it’d probably be used less and fail, assuming the difference between a success and a failure is people using their points.

14. Princess Fiona
    Original Member

Princess Fiona Silver Member

Status Points:
    S
    ssshhh!!! Don't give them any ideas for new "enhancements" ;p

bluesky and Chad like this.
  15. drewbles
    Original Member

drewbles Gold Member

Status Points:
    Was around 114k points and $70 vs 96k and $300 or so, but the ~32k points I earned more than made up for it.

ASA's are often better value than classic, but only if you're WP :)

16. I'm sure us lower then WP aspire for WP

ariadne likes this.
  17. brinkers
    Original Member

brinkers Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would just add to the above that some times the best (or shall I say most rewarding) ASA's are those that involve a coonection, but still keep within the mileage limit for the zone.

18. daedalus
    Original Member

daedalus Silver Member

Status Points:
    I know I do [​IMG]

cockpitvisit and ariadne like this.
  19. bluesky
    Original Member

bluesky Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would certainly use it if required for a last minute MR.

The biggest benefit I see is the substantial discount on classic awards available once points earning is factored in; ie instead of paying 64,000 + $200 to get to LHR, you can pay 80,000 points and get 20,000 of them back (plus 60SC) - of course assuming WP.

20. ariadne
    Original Member

ariadne Silver Member

Status Points:
    I use them in preference to booking a classic award. But then, I have my eye on Lifetime Gold, and this helps keep things moving in that direction!

21. trippin_the_rift
    Original Member

trippin_the_rift Silver Member

Status Points:
    At the end of the day you still need to fly....

22. For the first time, in my next membership year, I will use JASA/FASA's to maintain status. I'll get 1080 SC's to help me maintain WP [​IMG]

23. NZM

NZM

How many points are you burning for that run?