Using an SWU on LH

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by sfo1, Oct 12, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Called UA today to confirm which fare base codes could be used on LH when using a paper SWU. I have used one in the past but could not remember which codes were valid. Anyway, explained to the 1K agent that I wanted the fares that could be used. She told me that only B and Y were valid or I could buy up with miles and cash. I told her, no that is incorrect that there were other fares that could be used, she insisted that I could not have used the SWU on LH unless I had booked B or Y. I was getting frustrated at her, I said that she was incorrect and said thank you and hung up. Called back a few minutes later and got the answer I was looking for, in fact had I check MP website I would have found it myself. This is the first argument I have gotten into with an agent, was not pleased that she did not have the answer, or at least try and find it for me, but then maybe she was a CO agent in "learning", I guess everyone is right, if you don't get the correct answer, hang up and try again.

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    :rolleyes:

They aren't cross-staffing the call centers yet.

There are bad agents in every organization. Pretending there aren't is just burying your head in the sand.

sfo1 and Flyer1976 like this.
  3. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    What he said plus...Agents like to think they know everything unless you make them pull up the profile and have them read it then they'll either apologize or blame you as the customer...

4. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well if they have not started cross training yet, then this UA agent has been giving out wrong information for who know how long, and probably misinformation on a great number of other things also.

5. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Curious if you are booked into K class? This is a permitted fare class according to the UA site and the current certs, but LH has reclassified this fare into a lower class, even below L which was demoted last year. There is some question if LH will honour upgrades on this fare class as it is no longer eligible for its own upgrades. (Also has been dropped as a mileage earning fare on the UA site even though it remains eligible, in theory, for paper SWUs.)

6. German Expat
    Original Member

German Expat Silver Member

Status Points:
    LH usually sticks pretty much to the rules that are written on the SWU certificate. I would assume they will accept it for K since it is not an excluded fare class.

7. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    :​
    The following Lufthansa tickets are NOT eligible for system wide upgrade
    X, I, R, N, W, S, L, K, T, E

8. German Expat
    Original Member

German Expat Silver Member

Status Points:
    Where did you see this ? I am just curious if they have recently changed it. I have a printed SWU (a couple weeks old) and it does not specify K as excluded. Also United's own web site :

http://www.united.com/page/article/1,,50027,00.html#Systemwide Upgrade terms and conditions

shows :

1a. Lufthansa Standby: This upgrade may be used on a standby basis, subject to availability, on the day of travel on any eligible Lufthansa flight in accordance with the terms and conditions of this certificate, except when booked in LH booking classes X, I, R, N, W, S and E. In addition L and T fares are also excluded for Intra-Europe flights.

9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It should not be at all surprising that the eligible fare buckets have changed given that LH has changed how they're marketing their flights.

It also probably shouldn't be surprising (though it is a bit disappointing) that UA hasn't updated the website with the most current information.

10. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sorry for the error, I could have sworn I read K in the same article, just goes to show what happens when you get older, lose sight, and can't read :)

11. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually UA has updated its MP info for LH flight mileage accumulation and now includes K in the list that does not earn MP miles. However, the terms on the upgrade part of the site, and on even recently issued SWUs still includes K as an upgradeable fare. So at least through the end of January next year, it appears you can upgrade but you won't earn any miles!

sfo1 likes this.
  12. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I usedl 2 SW"s on LH about two months ago, booked V class, got 100% miles, and when I called UA to confirm booking class I am sure she said K was not valid as she quoted the classes that were not valid.

13. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    And this is the part I was suggesting is disappointing in not being updated. :-: