Using an iPhone in foreign countries for long time periods

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by UA191, Jan 4, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. UA191

UA191 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have an iPhone 4S with Canadian provider, Rogers.
    This summer, I'm going to be covering the London 2012 Olympics for about a month.
    Rogers' rates (even with packages) are pretty insane for Europe.

I decided that I'd come here to ask my fellow frequent travelers what to do...
    I really want to use my iPhone, so is it possible to switch the SIM card to a UK provider?
    If not - what would be the best method for getting an iPhone to use in the UK?

Any advice is appreciated!

alohastephen likes this.
  2. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    mjones,

You could get a SIM here, but will need to ensure your iPhone is unlocked in order to use it. That said, you'd need to use a pay as you go plan, which can be really expensive depending on how much data you utilize.

Take a look at Carphone Warehouse and Phones 4U for ideas on cost on different carriers.

:)

alohastephen and UA191 like this.
  3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    There had been plans offered by AmEx where they would FedEx a smart phone to you for use in your destination, although this would mean a new phone number for the trip.

Is your employer paying for the phone charges or supplying you with a work phone? Do they have any expertise in the options in this case?

You might want to organize this well in advance of your trip. In some countries, it can be hard for foreign visitors to acquire or establish service on a cell phone.

alohastephen, UA191 and rwoman like this.
  4. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very important note here - for various carriers in the UK, you have to have a PIN & Chip credit card...I had to use my local UK debit (Visa) card to both purchase my iPhone 4S and set up a plan.

5. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would suggest renting a phone and having your phone number forward to that number.

6. msny

msny Gold Member

Status Points:
    You also might have to get the iPhone unlocked to use internationally with other sim. Last I read Roger's does unlock for a charge of $50 on phone currently not under contractual obligations.. In UK you can pickup a 'Pay As You Sim' from any company or third party stores. Take a look a this WIKI for different plan available (mostly data plan).

7. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have you had success with auto-forwarding a US mobile to an international number? I've been told no by AT+T (though I didn't push the issue too hard) when I called after my phone wouldn't take the setting. (My phone can be forwarded domestically without issue.)

8. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are ways to forward your US number to any number in the world. Whenever I travel, I let my Google Voice number to ring on one of my LocalPhone # (see my signature) which then forwards it to any international number you will program it.
    I your case, you can forward your ATT number to a LocalPhone # for free and then program it to ring on your international number which can be changed if your international number will change.

9. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Smart idea.

alohastephen likes this.
  10. jhflau11
    Original Member

jhflau11 Silver Member

Status Points:
    This was going to be my suggestion too.

11. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Plus LocalPhone has one of the lowest international rates even to mobile phones in Europe

12. susimaru

susimaru Member

Status Points:
    Hi you can't use your iphone 4s locked to Canadian rogers network in Uk without unlocking it .You can unlock your iphone 4s at Simpleunlocking.com here they unlock your iphone using remote unlocking service .After unlocking your iphone you can freely take it to Uk and use their local network sim in it .