Using an iPad while traveling

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by savingrace, Dec 26, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. savingrace

savingrace Silver Member

Status Points:
    I use my iPad when traveling, and recently noticed some problems when I am signing up or in to a website. So if the site just won't let you in, don't use auto fill. Enter data manually, or cut then paste data back In.

I was renting a car from Hertz for the first time, and it would not let me sign up to be a Hertz Gold member. I grew very frustrated until I remembered that my library web site won't sign me in when my library # is automatically shown, I have to cut then paste the number.

Ah, little glitches! Hope this saves someone else some time.

Gargoyle, anileze, daninstl and 2 others like this.
  2. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah I run into this using an iPad. It seems that many sites try to drive you to the mobile version when actually the desktop version works better. You might try using the app directly or chrome instead of safari which I've had some success with.

savingrace, Dublin_rfk and anileze like this.
  3. SYD

SYD Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've noticed some inconsistent behaviour of late. A website appears to work fine one day and the misbehaves later. ITA Matrix for example. The date selection window appears but won't let me select a date. Annoying.

I use the OnTheFly app quite a bit for simple searches but the full website is much better.

daninstl likes this.
  4. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    There's a pretty hidden feature on the iPhone to bring up desktop versions of websites. It works great. It's hard to explain so it's easier to send you to a page explaining it. Note, the key here is to tap in the address bar as if you were selecting the URL there. It won't work until you tap there.
    http://osxdaily.com/2014/11/25/request-desktop-site-safari-ios/

Supposedly it work on iPads too though I've had trouble getting it to work there.

5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Works on my iPad Air 2. Thanks for the tip, I didn't know about that feature. Haven't really needed it so far, but it definitely is good to know.

savingrace and daninstl like this.
  6. Lionell

Lionell Gold Member

Status Points:
    I always use Chrome on my iPad Air, never Safari... Also set Chrome as default browser in Mailbox app, never ran into any issue so far.

daninstl and savingrace like this.
  7. savingrace

savingrace Silver Member

Status Points:
    I will switch to Chrome when I get home. Too many usernames and passwords stored in Safari right now (all useless ones like my Hertz account, etc, no money acc'ts! ;-)

And bigxo, I finally figured out how to get desktop versions on my iPad. Thanks for that neat tip.

daninstl likes this.
  8. Karen_nz

Karen_nz Member

Status Points:
    Chrome is soo quicker and better than the rest :)

daninstl likes this.
  9. Flying Machine

Flying Machine Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just read through the link, whom would ever know. Very good information and I just tried it on my ipad and worked well.. Short attention span readers (just double click on url and the tab to request desktop site appears) Thanks allot and Safe Travels..

Dublin_rfk likes this.
  10. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just received a "like" on this post. The timing on that "like" is funny because this changed in IOS 9, but it reminds me I should update you. The "Request Desktop Site" function has now moved to the Share arrow in the browser. Hit the share button (the square box with the arrow pointing up out of it). It's a choice on the bottom row. (You might have to scroll the row to the right.)

daninstl, ACMM and iolaire like this.
  11. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you. As a long time apple user I did not know that.

daninstl likes this.