Using Amex points to go from ORD to Japan

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Troop123, Jan 4, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Troop123

Troop123 New Member

Status Points:
    Does anybody know the best airline to use to fly direct from Chicago to Tokyo, preferably business class?

I have a ton of Amex points and am looking to parlay into a business class Asian flight? Does anybody know of good sites that can help dissect this and transfer points to miles depending on availability ?

Gargoyle likes this.
  2. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi Troop123.

Depending on your definition of "a ton" and if you are booking a bit in the future, you're probably in luck. Your Amex points can be moved to any of the major alliances.

ANA, JAL, AA and United all operate this route nonstop.

To book ANA or United, you can move your points to ANA or Air Canada. For AA or JAL, move your points to either Cathay or British. Check each of ANA, AC, CX and BA's award tables to figure out how many points (and what co-pay, if applicable) you'll need to pay. Different carriers will charge slightly different amounts. The ticketing carrier is the points table that you care about.

Also consider that Air Canada transfers from Amex are instant...I'm not sure that is the case with the other carriers. If you find a seat, best just to lock it down right away.

In general, you will find NH and JL to offer a superior business experience compared to AA or UA. If you can fly either of the Japanese-based carriers, I'd definitely go that way.

Here is a post I shared about the value of your Amex points. Despite many individuals' love of Chase points (perhaps driven by lucrative credit card application reference bonuses), Amex is still the best all around currency out there.

http://upgrd.com/sitinfirst/amex-an...more-valuable-than-chase-points-for-most.html

The post is stale in that it doesn't include Emirates, a new Amex transfer partner.

flyforawg, Gargoyle and Bill Hunt like this.
  3. Bill Hunt

Bill Hunt Silver Member

Status Points:

4. Bill Hunt

Bill Hunt Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for the link to your article - very useful to an AMEX Platinum member, with a lot of points, always looking for where to best use them.

Appreciated.

NYBanker and Gargoyle like this.
  5. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Glad to help. Let us know what you end up booking!