Using All-Partner Awards to get around horrible routing

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Chase, Feb 17, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Chase
    Original Member

Chase Silver Member

Status Points:
    So here's what I'd like to do.

I'm going from DTW-BCN/AMD over the new years (hopefully). The only way I can get there, according to AA.com, is to go from DTW-LGA-JFK-BCN or, even worse: DTW-ORD-EWR-LGA-JFC-BCN

Can I call and get an All-Partner award (say DTW-ORD-BCN using American Eagle/Iberia) for the same MileSAAver rate? Or am I SOL and just too late to the party?

Thanks for dealing with the newbie question.

2. beaktor

beaktor Silver Member

Status Points:
    The only nonstop from US to BCN in OneWorld is JFK-BCN and MIA-BCN. You'll have to go DTW-ORD-MAD-BCN or DTW-LGA/JFK-BCN. From what I can read on the site, I don't see why you can't redeem an All-Partner awards if there is availability.

3. Gardyloo
    Original Member

Gardyloo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, if there's availability you can take any combination of AA or partners, using any gateway. AA.com will only show you AA metal; however you could fly on Iberia's new nonstop to BCN from Miami, or AA or BA to LHR then Iberia or BA, ORD-MAD-BCN on Iberia, etc. etc. You have to phone (and pay a phone booking fee) for partner awards.

Chase and gemac like this.
  4. THREEA4ME
    Original Member

THREEA4ME Silver Member

Status Points:
    trying to book LAX-SJO for March 20/returnMarch 27 and wondering what steps I need to take to use a oneworld airline since AA is asking for 70K miles RT in coach right now

magic111 likes this.
  5. magic111
    Original Member

magic111 Silver Member

Status Points:
    It will cost you a lot more than 70k to fly this route using another oneworld airline as none fly this route. The only other oneworld airline to fly into SJO is IB from either BCN or MAD but than you have to route through Spain