Using Aeroplan points for Star Alliance / United flights?

Discussion in 'Star Alliance' started by boxergal, Jul 16, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. boxergal

boxergal Silver Member

Status Points:
    My daughter is trying to book two flights using her 200K+ Aeroplan points and was told by the Aeroplan representative that she can only book flights that come up in the Aeroplan flight search. I can find award flights on United for the date she needs. Why wouldn't it be possible for her to book those?

She's trying to get 2 tickets to take her daughter to Denver to swim for a week at the Olympic Training Center in Denver CO. They are departing Winnipeg YWG and can fly to Denver or Colorado Springs. Departure date is July 20th (which she can get via Aeroplan) but the return on July 26, 27 or 28 is the problem.

I have no experience with Aeroplan or booking Star Alliance flights. Anyone here have any booking insight to share?

2. pointshogger

pointshogger Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just did a quick search on the Aeroplan website. It seems like you have no problem with going to Denver, but the issue is coming back. Those dates are unavailable. You are a little late in the game for booking a reward flight for these dates. Every flight on has so many reward tickets available. So once they are sold out, you are out of luck unfortunately. You may have to pay for the return flight, but you can book a one-way reward flight going there.

3. boxergal

boxergal Silver Member

Status Points:
    I know that the flights are last minute but my question was about how booking flights within Star Alliance works. Aeroplan showed no return flights from Denver or Colarado Springs, but United had a number of award flights that could have been booked. Aren't they both in Star Alliance? If so, how come we couldn't book the United award flights through Aeroplan? Thus far in my award flight bookings I've only ever booked award flights using that specific airline's frequent flyer points. I'm trying to understand how it works if I want to book award flights using frequent flyer points from a different airline within Star Alliance.

profpeabody likes this.
  4. pointshogger

Status Points:
    Interesting. Did you try to call Aeroplan to see if they can find the flight for you in their system? Tell them exactly what you discovered.

5. boxergal

boxergal Silver Member

Status Points:
    My daughter did call Aeroplan and was told that if she didn't see the flight on the Aeroplan site, then it wasn't bookable using her points. She called 3 times and got the same answer each time.

6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Were they Saver or Standard awards on the UA site? Standard awards cannot be booked by partners.

There is also a chance that even if they are Saver level that UA hasn't made them available to partners.

ETA: Looking at the 28th I see saver awards via Toronto or Calgary on AC metal, but I don't know that the Aeroplan folks will book that.

pointshogger likes this.
  7. pointshogger

Status Points:
    Sigh, Aeroplan members seem to always get the short end of the stick.

boxergal, hopefully you can still book the one-way reward flight and you will have to pay for the return flight.

8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    This isn't an Aeroplan thing; this is a partners thing with every airline program. In every case I can think of where "expanded" availability is offered to members of the program partners of that program do not have access to it.

Goldlust likes this.
  9. B1BomberVB

B1BomberVB Silver Member

Status Points:
    I haven't noticed lately what Wandering Aramean #8 speaks of. IIRC it used to be like that, but I find the same availability on almost all Star Alliance or OneWorld FF programs 99% of the time--subject to WA's note in Post #6, first sentence. So if you see a blue "SELECT" button on UA.com when NOT logged in as a UA elite member or Visa cardholder, Aeroplan should offer the same availablity!