Using Aeroplan Miles for First Class...

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by cc1972, Feb 22, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. cc1972

cc1972 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I didn't really know where to post this, so since I would be using Aeroplan miles for the flight I posted here.

I am wondering if anyone could tell me their opinion whether I should just fly NRT - SIN on United First or pay more YQ for ANA First. UA would be about $150 and ANA a little bit more than double.

I've never flown either, but I've read bad comments about UA's service, so I'm wondering if it wouldn't be worth it to pay a little more to have a real first class experience. I tend to think that Asian airlines are much better than North American (especially American) ones, but since I've never flown ANA I'd rather ask people who have.

Anyone have any thoughts on the subject?

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  2. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    NRT-SIN is about the same length as a short TATL flight, so I can see the logic of wanting a better F product.

That being said... I don't think NH has F on NRT-SIN. They fly their 788 which has J and Y only. So you'd be paying $150 extra for NH C, not NH F. I'm not sure I'd pay $150 to fly in a lower cabin, even if NH's soft product in C is pretty good... I think UA's hard product in international F is unquestionably better than NH C (especially if you end up in this seat on NH as opposed to this seat on UA), and a $150 can buy you a pretty decent dinner if the dinner you get in UA F isn't up to snuff.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
    tomh009 and Wandering Aramean like this.
  3. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Both Japanese carriers have pulled the 787 off SE Asian routes until GE fixes an engine bug affected by heavy rain, so NH may have put some 3-cabin 777s back on that route (though may not be selling it as F but as J/C). I don't find NH's F lounge at NRT all that interesting, more choice in the regular lounge. F section of the UA lounge is actually nicer.

4. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    NH is still flying their 788, according to Flightaware.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/ANA901/history/20140304/0820Z/RJAA/WSSS
    http://flightaware.com/live/flight/ANA111/history/20140304/0145Z/RJAA/WSSS

Not sure I agree, but I really like Hibiki 17 and udon...

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  5. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
  6. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Actually, SQ DOES offer F on A388s (SQ 11), but it's unlikely to be a redemption option on AC.

I'm curious as to your logic- why would you pass up a very solid F hard product for a lame regional J hard product with recliners? NRT-SIN is a 8+ hour flight, longer than a TATL in some cases. I've been in NH regional J after a long TPAC flight in UA F. It's laaaaaame for sleeping compared to a flat bed.

Yes, I know, USA-based carriers have horrible soft product blah blah blah. I don't see the point of paying $150 for a worse hard product when you're likely to want to sleep during a longer flight (this goes double if the OP is connecting at NRT from a and not originating, because that means there could be up to a day's worth of flying involved (if the OP is connetcing TPAC at NRT).

I don't know about you, but $150 CDN can buy ME a very nice meal and drink on the ground to make up for a sucky UA F soft product (and IMO NH's soft product in regional Asian C is not all that and a bag of chips, I actually like the meals TG/SQ/CX serve on regional flights better.)

7. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The OP's $150 upcharge is for NH F which doesn't actually exist on this route. I expect that NH J would be less expensive than UA F ...

And, yes, at the same price point, I personally would rather downgrade the hard product to NH J in order to get NH service rather than UA service. But of course this is a personal value judgement.

8. Alex (Easy Award Booking)

Alex (Easy Award Booking) Member

Status Points:
    I would fly NH J over UA F any day