Using AAdvantage Miles for RT to SYD

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by jmjgp12, Mar 24, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. jmjgp12

jmjgp12 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Any tips on using AA miles to get from LAX to SYD on Quantas or OneWorld carriers -- looking to book 2 J fares but AA plat customer service always says that Qantas only shows 1 seat available. Any thoughts without having to book 1 J and do a voluntary downgrade for the other seat and play the waiting game? Thanks!

2. philatravelgirl

philatravelgirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    I used Cathay and JAL as my OneWorld carriers out of JFK to SYD as agent told me Qantas hard tix to get. Not sure of their schedules from LAX but would also look at (if you can) SFO and SEA options

Kalboz, perryplatypus and jmjgp12 like this.
  3. jmjgp12

jmjgp12 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I will definitely look into these options. Thank you for your help!

Kalboz likes this.
  4. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Dd you book that as two separate partner awards (one into Asia, second into Australia) or as part of a One World award? My understanding, and I've been to Australia a couple times on award travel, is that you can't transit via Asia on a single partner award. With Cathay you'd be connecting at HKG and JAL in Japan (NRT, HND, KIX, maybe some others). One World awards, of course, are very different than partner awards (mileage based, multiple stops) and can cost more to obtain.

I'd also toss out that Air Pacific and Air Tahiti Nui can be options to Australia,, and possibly Hawaiian from Honolulu (along with Qantas and Jetstar who alternate flights from there), as part of partner awards.

You can check Qantas availability on the Qantas web site and Expert Flyer.

How far out is the trip? I had a friend that traveled last month and her two seats didn't open until about 6 months before departure. I had an Expert Flyer alert, contacted her, and she scooped them up before someone else could get to them.

Kalboz and jmjgp12 like this.
  5. cennas
    Original Member

cennas Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP jmjgp12!

6. jmjgp12

jmjgp12 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you cennas for the welcome! Also, thank you tom911 for the tips and airline combinations. The trip is about a year away so ill take your advise and put out an expertflyer alert and then play the waiting game and see if things open up closer to date of departure. Thank you all again for the help!

Kalboz likes this.
  7. philatravelgirl

philatravelgirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    I used BA miles two tickets- flight from JFK to Perth on Cathay (connecting in HKG, no stopover) and then return SYD to JFK on JAL mandatory overnight in Tokyo but as reward had to pay hotel overnight at airport. Used 160k BA points at the time -not sure if this has changed w/Avios changes. Booked in April for Nov (thanksgiving) thru Dec 17th return for 1 J seat. Booked flight in first and then a month later found flight home to book.

8. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not up on BA's program, but the original poster here wants to use AA miles. I've seen dozens of posts over the years on TOBB that AA will not let you route via Asia for partner award travel to Australia You need two separate awards or a One World award. Here's a post from November and another one from a year ago over there citing that policy again. BA must have different rules.

9. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    BA has no rule regarding the route you take from origin to destination, because you pay for each segment. Routing out of the way can cost you dearly!