Using AA points to upgrade BA flight ?

Discussion in 'oneworld' started by gmclaugh, May 2, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. gmclaugh

gmclaugh Member

Status Points:
    A colleague and I are travelling from DEN to LHR tomorrow. I'm a BA Exec club mumber and he's lifetime platinum with something crazy like 1m miles on AA.

I've upgraded from WT+ to Club World successfully using my Avios but after speaking to AA about using his Advantage miles to upgrade his BA flight, AA told him "no".

I've tried to use my Avios to upgrade his booking but the online system told me it wasn't possible.

Any ideas on how to do this or am I gonna have to put up with him whining all day tomorrow ?

Many thanks for any ideas

2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Did AA tell him why he couldn't upgrade? Upgrades are possible on BA using AA miles but there are quite a few restrictions, particularly with fare class. What fare class is he booked in?

3. gmclaugh

gmclaugh Member

Status Points:
    Fare class is T

4. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    T is a discount WT+ fare and only full fare WT+ (W) is upgradeable with AA miles, so that's the issue.

Here is AA's chart on upgrading with miles for British Airways and Iberia flights: LINK.

BA sometimes offers upgrades for cash during the online check in process, so that's perhaps an option? Unless he gets an upgrade for cash offer, looks like he's not sitting in business class. :(

5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why can't your Avios be used to upgrade him? What was your fare class or does BA prioritize Avios upgrades by the BA status of the passenger? What would it cost to upfare his ticket from T to W to use his AA miles?

6. gmclaugh

gmclaugh Member

Status Points:
    AA are saying that it's impossible to upgrade using their points as it's a BA website, regardless of fare class.

BA US customer services rather stupidly just said "hmmm, we're not sure why this isn't working - sorry"

Looks like he's back in cattle !

7. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    What does the website have to do with anything? :confused: Do you mean his ticket was purchased through BA.com or another avenue? If so, the link I provided above outlines that only tickets bought through AA can be upgraded.

8. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm confused as to which airline you actually made the booking from. Also remember if you have a Avios household account don't believe it would be possible for you to use your points to upgrade him.

9. gmclaugh

gmclaugh Member

Status Points:
    Sorry, I meant BA ticket, not website. A combination of jetlag, too many meetings, and too much bourbon meant my brain got jumbled when typing quickly.

He flew in WT+ and had the last laugh as I had a 9 month old next to me in Club for the entire flight.

10. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps karma for your off the cuff remark above about him suffering in the back of the bus? :D

Glad you both had good flights, even if he seemed to enjoy it more.