Using AA Platinum Select to buy AA ticket

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by volsfan, Sep 4, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. volsfan

volsfan Silver Member

Status Points:
    What an odd experience! I was in the process of purchasing my AA ticket with my AA Platinum Select credit card and the response is "error", saying the number of digits I input were incorrect. I tried this 3 more times--no luck. Called AA reservations and they were clueless--forwarded me to a Citi number for applying for a new AA card! Fortunately, the man from Citi forwarded me to someone at the bank who could actually help. This person told me not to select "AA credit card" as I had been doing, but instead, choose "MasterCard"--it worked perfectly. Time will tell if I have any problems with getting my free baggage allowance...

2. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    You shouldn't have issues with your free baggage allowance as, if AA is like other airlines, tied in to your AAdvantage account.

3. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    When you log into your Advantage account it says quite clearly under your status line " Advantage cardmember" if so you are all set.

4. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    The AA card is a special card issued directly from AA. It's not the kind of card someone with good credit would want. They really should rename the drop down item as it is confusing.

Counsellor and newbluesea like this.
  5. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Fair enough... but the AA issued card has been around for what 15 years after reading FT and other FF boards for longer than that I cannot ever recall even one other instance of anyone mistaking it for the myriad ( and if I take a guess .. must be dozens) of AA affiliated bank issued cards.:)

flyforawg likes this.