Using AA Miles With A BA 2-4-1 Voucher?

Discussion in 'British Airways | Executive Club' started by Whatwasthat..., Oct 24, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Whatwasthat...
    Original Member

Whatwasthat... Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi. Here's a (perhaps counter-intuitive) concept I've been wondering about in light of some of the changes occurring with the AA AAdvantage Program: Can one redeem a BA 2-4-1 Companion Voucher when booking a BA flight with AAdvantage miles?

I'm asking because it's been somewhat easier historically for me to collect AAdvantage Miles than BA Miles, but find the BA Companion Vouchers to be particularly helpful in making "premium" travel more affordable on those occasions when I and the Missus are able to get a bit of away time together (even with the BA fees).

Your thoughts/guidance would be very much appreciated, thanks!

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  2. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nope, BA 241 can only be used with BA miles on BA flights...not even partners like CX :mad:

3. Euan
    Original Member

Euan Silver Member

Status Points:
    as JohnDeere19 says, the BA companion vouchers must be used on BA metal (no codeshares allowed!) and must be 100% BA miles + taxes.

4. Whatwasthat...
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for your replies JohnDeere19 and Euan. I think my question may not have been clear though. I'd be fine with traveling on BA metal with the 2-4-1 voucher - what I'd like to do is use AAdvantage Miles + voucher on BA metal. Any thoughts on whether that could be done?

Thanks again:)!

5. The Saint
    Original Member

The Saint Silver Member

Status Points:
    The UK BA Amex 2-4-1 terms and conditions provide:

And, even were it not for this, how would BA deduct your AA miles in payment for a BA booking using a 2-4-1?

Globaliser likes this.
  6. Whatwasthat...
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, Saint! I could book a flight on BA using AAdvantage Miles thru AA. But I guess that "sufficient BA Miles..." requirement pretty much kills the idea of being able to use a BA 2-4-1 voucher with this sort of booking (unless the requirement is different on Chase Visa BA Credit Cards).

Thanks again!

7. David
    Original Member

David Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not a chance. The two-for-one voucher exists within BAEC, with it's currency BA Miles.

AA miles exist within their frequent flyer scheme.

The two things (AA miles and BAEC 241 vouchers) exist in separate universes.

The fact that both schemes, each with their own separate currencies and rules both allow you to redeem on each others flights is irrelevant.

Globaliser likes this.
  8. Whatwasthat...
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thank you David!