Using a Chase UR booking as a UA EQM run

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by BarScheeze, Feb 27, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. BarScheeze

BarScheeze Active Member

Status Points:
    I'm having a hard time doing the value assessment on this scheme.

$500 United ticket would cost 40,000 UR points (20% "discount") when booked through the travel service. The "paid" ticket, as far as I can tell from other threads, would qualify to earn EQMs, in this case about 10,000. With my 50% Gold bonus, I earn 15,000 award miles. I would have eventually transferred the UR points over to United anyway, so the net loss for this deal is 25,000. Does it seem worth it for the status progress?

Trying to get back to UA Gold this year and my employer has axed all non-critical travel. Time to work on it myself.

An additional cost is having to suffer through six segments with only a quick 14-hour turn in LGA. I'd have to burn a Marriott e-certificate.

2. Zomby Woof

Zomby Woof Silver Member

Status Points:
    Doesn't sound like a good cpm for a mileage run. It's still early in the year. Maybe wait for a fare sale.

3. Zomby Woof

Zomby Woof Silver Member

Status Points:
    Actually 4 cpm is decent. If you know that will put your over for Gold then, go for it. Otherwise, I'd wait for a better deal.

4. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    Your goal is to hit Gold. If you can do it by using the UR points and you have no other foreseeable way of hitting Gold then it sounds like a plan. I would say that it is only March and I would personally wait to use UR points. You still have a lot of time to find some cheap flights that may just get you to Gold then you wouldn't have to lose those 25k. My suggestion is to hold off on using UR until closer to the last quarter of the year. If you need to use those points as a "paid" ticket you would still have time to do so.