Using 4 Platinum Upgrades

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by Steven Schwartz, Jun 12, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    We are currently booked in early December from NYC to Paris. We are on BA:

EWR to CDG, BA First
    ORY to EWR, OpenSkies Premium Economy.

Cost was a bunch of miles plus about $1400-1500 in fees.

I see that I have four Delta Platinum Systemwide Upgrade certificates. And it seems that coach fare on my dates is about $1700 total for two. So it seems to make sense to get all my miles and cash back (less $150) and book economy Delta, using the four certificates for upgrades for my wife and me to Business. Does this make sense? Am I missing something? What would you smart people do?

Thanks!

2. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Only YBM fares are eligible to use the PMUs. I expect the coach fares you are looking at are substantially cheaper than YBM.

Depending on how highly you value first relative to business, it may make sense to look into using other program's miles if available rather than BA, as BA TATL has really high fuel surcharges. For sure you want to be in a premium cabin to get more value out of them, which you are in 1 direction at least.

3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    As mattsteg said, for use DL SWUs to i upgrade into BE (international) requires at least an M fare, with TATL starting at about $2500 RT per person, depending on the cities. This also requires BE inventory in the right class or the upgrades can only confirmed at the airport on the day of travel.

4. BamaGirl
    Original Member

BamaGirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just picked a couple of random dates EWR-CDG (Dec.13th-20th) and was surprised to see it fare out with a Y at under $1500. M's were substantially higher--over $2800. Now, whether there is upgrade availability is a whole other story.

5. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    The "Y and others" options that are showing up for me are in Y domestic and AF W premium economy class (upgradable with PMUs) TATL from DTW or ATL. A quick look at expertflyer shows at least some O availability on ATL-CDG, but not on the return.

6. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    In order to upgrade you must be on a YBM fare and Upgrade Space (Z fare) must be available as well.

7. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    I doubt you'd find 4 Z seats open at once on any DL TATL flight.

8. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think it's a matter of two seats RT, although I confess I was confused and thought at first that the OP was talking about four people flying one way.

9. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks everyone - not worth it. Flew FC on BA a few weeks ago RT to Israel and it was wonderful. This time, on the way back, we're going OpenSkies - tried it once and loved it and as a daytime, return flight, don't need a bed and by avoiding London, we save some money.

Thanks again to all.

DeltaExpert likes this.
  10. DeltaExpert
    Original Member

DeltaExpert Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have a great time!

11. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sounds like you made the right trade. Enjoy your trip!