useaamiles.com Non-US Resident

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by cosmicdot, Mar 12, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. cosmicdot

cosmicdot New Member

Status Points:
    Hi there!

I was wondering if anyone had an answer to an issue I'm having with redeeming AAdvantage miles for Hotel&Car awards on useaamiles.com.

First off, I'm not a North American resident and therefore do not own a US credit card.

The T&C on useaamiles state that: "All AAdvantage® members are welcome to participate, but a minimum of 1,000 AAdvantage miles and a credit card with a United States, Canada or U.S.V.I mailing address is required for each purchase."

The FAQ says: "All AAdvantage members living in the US, Canada, Puerto Rico and US Virgin Islands are eligible to redeem their AAdvantage miles for car and hotel Awards. Members must have at least 1,000 miles in their AAdvantage account at time of redemption in order to redeem for the mileage portion of the transaction." [emphasis mine]

I'd like to take my family on vacation to California later this year and even though I'd like to use strictly points, I asked my cousin, a US resident and card-holder, to make the booking since the FAQ also states:

"Can I use AAdvantage miles to book travel for my family and friends?
    Yes, when required to enter information on the Traveler Information portion of the redemption booking process, simply enter the name of the family member or friend who will be using the hotel stay or car rental instead of entering your name."

However, when we try to make the booking, the web-form drop-box only includes the US, Canada and USVI as the possible countries of origin for the actual hotel guests (my family and me).

The FAQ states that only US etc. residents can redeem their points through useaamiles, but it says nothing about who they can redeem for.

Do you think it would be ok to register us under his US address to complete the booking or would we run into problems later down the line when we're on the trip and picking up the rental car and/or checking into the hotel?

(Note: my cousin is not accompanying us on the trip, so he cannot put himself on the form.)

Thanks,

Pete

MX likes this.