Use UA or CO number?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by gleff, Jul 29, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I believe conventional wisdom is to link UA/CO accounts and use your UA status when flying UA and CO status when flying CO.

Say that a United 1K, matched to CO Platinum, is flying a mixed itinerary, UA metal on the outbound and CO metal on the return though... what to do?

UA status to upgrade the outbound, but then... do you switch to CO number after the upgrade clears on the outbound? or do you leave your existing 1K number in the reservation as the basis for clearing on the return trip?

What's the collective wisdom on strategy here?

Thanks!

JohnDeere19 and Kalboz like this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Switch. No reason not to and several reasons to do so.

rggale and JohnDeere19 like this.
  3. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had this problem two weeks ago flying to DEN (not sure why the last DEN-SEA flight is now CO operated when everything else is UA, but whatever). We switched our MP numbers to OP after checking in for the outbound, and we were later upgraded on the return, so it worked fine. I had tried to call in and get separate numbers applied to each segment, but the phone rep sounded confused, said I couldn't do this, and recommended the alternative I just described.

Now, we had a couple days before our return, so there was time to switch our FF numbers before the upgrade window opened. If you are doing a shorter turn or have a mix on the same day with a connection, I don't know how that would complicate things. You might have to decide based on how many open seats are there (I consistently find CO harder to get an upgrade, so maybe using your CO number would be better if you have to use the same for both flights).

4. Morsel
    Original Member

Morsel Active Member

Status Points:
    A novice question, perhaps, but does changing the FF number have any influence on time added to the upgrade list? (i.e., any way you'd be removed and re-added? Or is the point moot because status trumps time added in this case?)

5. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    the point here is that status trumps time, but time does matter

6. okrogius

okrogius Silver Member

Status Points:
    As others mentioned, prioritize which upgrade matters most, and go with that FF until it clears. Afterwards switch to the other as appropriate. Right before flying you can switch again if you want for MM purposes, assuming that doesn't interefere with your upgrade waitlists.

With that said, the absolute best thing you can do is not fly mixed itineraries. Inevitable you'll have issues checking in, or just simple hassles of switching things for sake of upgrades. I've been booking many one-way tickets in pairs this year because of this having experiencing the UA+CO mixed fun.

7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    On CO time only really matters in this context for added to the list for at the gate upgrades. A platinum who books 2 days out and a platinum who books 6 days out are rated by fare class first and then time of booking; time "added to the list" doesn't play in at all.

Morsel likes this.
  8. Nelumbo
    Original Member

Nelumbo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have some upcoming reservations booked on .bomb with mixed segments on UA and CO metals. I went to co.bomb to add these itineraries to my CO Platinum account. So I can see my UA 1K account # with them but not CO # on .bomb and only CO # but not UA # on co.bomb. I don't know whether it is the way to have chance to score UDUs.