use UA miles for LH flight

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by dogcrazy, Oct 7, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. dogcrazy
    Original Member

dogcrazy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is it true that *A partners are not able to redeem business or 1st class LH award for TATL except within 14 days of departure ?

2. mherdeg
    Original Member

mherdeg Silver Member

Status Points:
    It looks like united.com will currently sell me a Lufthansa First award seat on the nonstop MUC-BOS on 22 Dec 2012, which is a transatlantic F award more than 14 days from now.

I don't think this is "phantom inventory" -- it gets all the way to the booking page.

I have, however, often seen a lot of premium-cabin LH award availability for last-minute travel.

3. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    Shouldn't have any problem with C, but LH theoretically doesn't release F space to *A partners until T minus 2 weeks.

4. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Doesn't matter. It will most likely show an error page once you try to book it on the booking page. December 22 is also a peak travelling time due to winter break and Christmas..

5. olmangsr

olmangsr Silver Member

Status Points:
    same here. the best i could get was biz on a couple of trips for next year on both 744 and a380.no chance on 748i.
    and as @guberif said :no way for first until 2 weeks to departure ...

6. LizzyDragon84
    Original Member

LizzyDragon84 Gold Member

Status Points:
    One strategy to get first class to book a seat in a lower class, then when the two-week window opens, give LH a call and see if you can upgrade. A friend of mine did this and got seats for him and his wife in First.

7. LizzyDragon84
    Original Member

LizzyDragon84 Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's been my experience. Trying to book results in an error message asking you to call UA. Calling is a waste of time as the availability the agents see doesn't match the phantom availability shown on the website.

8. catgirl
    Original Member

catgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not sure if anything has changed, but I was able to book 2 flights in LH F more than 3 months out last year.

9. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Things have changed in the last year. I believe it was about 6-8 months ago that LH changed their policy.

This year I have even had problems booking UA international F 10 or 11 months out. In past years it was very easy to find UA or LH F awards that far out.

10. catgirl
    Original Member

catgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I haven't looked for LH awards since last October for when I traveled in January 2012.

Good information to have. Thanks. :)