Use of ipad or kindle during takeoff

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by katstarr, Jan 30, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. katstarr

katstarr Gold Member

Status Points:
    He guy next to me was asked by FA to turn off kindle before takeoff. As soon as she left he turned it back on - so it was on immediately before, during & after takeoff. He refused to turn it off when I asked. Is it appropriate to notify the FA? Do these devices really interfere with cockpit?

YULtide likes this.
  2. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    I say yes to notify the FA. I personally do not think they interfere with the cockpit since I have seen many violators in the past. The rule is in place for a reason and following FA directions is every PAX's responsibility.

3. JennB
    Original Member

JennB Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed. Opinions on effect of safety or not, it's the rules and they apply to all of us.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  4. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Absolutely, I would have informed the crew that passenger was not following the rules and as a former Flight Safety Analyst I can attest that electronic devices do cause interference during critical phases of flight. There is a reason why some devices are allowed over 10,000 feet because they do not interfere with navigational equipment.

LETTERBOY, rwoman and NickM_LA like this.
  5. Efilon87

Efilon87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not only do they interfere, most crashes happen on take off and landing. Thats the other reason they want everything powered off is so you can maintain your awareness and hear the instructions of the FAs if there is an emergency.

After asking him kindly to turn it off, i would have alerted the FAs. Your seat partner would not have been too happy with you, but seriously you cant disconnect from your music or angry birds for the 10 minutes during take off and landing???

6. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    One flight I was deadheading on another airline and in uniform and I noticed several passengers still on their Blackberries as we were about to approach the runway hold short line for departure I told them if they weren't going to turn it off I would ring the FAs. Long story short they did not comply so I rang them and told the lead they were being uncooperative in turning off their PEDs and we taxied back to the gate where they were thrown off.

7. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've had FA's tell me the same thing DIG/R_1K and others have said - if anything is going to happen, it's most likely on take off or landing...

Glad to see this...people may not like it, but the rules are there for a reason!

That said, I have taken video or pics upon take off/landing before...guess I'm the pot calling the kettle black...

LETTERBOY likes this.
  8. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Opinions I'm sure vary, but personally I think the FAA should throw out all of the safety recommendations with regards to interference and concentrate on this one aspect instead.

You will always have people that say "oh but I've had my phone on the whole flight and the plane has never crashed" -- which is true, and I'm sure is the #1 argument of people that defy the policy. The risk of running this particular experiment is ridiculous, yet obviously after they take a flight (or two, or ten) without powering anything off, and nothing happens, they automatically assume that it's all BS. Whether they're correct or not I'm sure would be a 9,000 page thread. :)

Now what I would do is say "during take-off and landing, turn your crap OFF so you can look at the safety instructions" and call it a day. Make it so that it's part of the CoC, and mandatory just like the requirements for seating in an exit aisle. If you're not willing to comply, let me know so I can show you the door.

Instead you have this whole circus about whether there is or isn't significant interference, and how you can put 50 people in a plane with cell phones and nothing happens -- regardless of whether they even work :)

rwoman and LETTERBOY like this.
  9. moa999
    Original Member

moa999 Gold Member

Status Points:
    But then you look at youtube in see all of those cockpit videos from PILOTS who have brought their vid cam into the cockpit to film takeoffs and landings.
    Mobiles I can understand, but airlines are doing gate to gate IFE so there is electronic equipment (admittedly tested) being used.
    I think the general rule is just to make it easier for the cabin staff - no devices is much easier to enforce than phones no, wifi no, dumb devices yes

10. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    The bigger argument now though is how several charter companies and even legacy airlines like AA are starting to switch from paper charts and other materials to off the shelf iPads using Mobile TC and other software.

This only strengthens the argument from the non-compliant pax and the Baldwins of the world who say that using the devices even during take-off and landing poses no risk to the electronics. Hell if the pilot is sitting "up there" and he can use an ipad, why can't I? :)

Flyer1976 and rwoman like this.
  11. SEABrad

SEABrad Silver Member

Status Points:
    It is a touchy subject for many. I've seen many athletes question why (if they are not flying charters) they need to turn them off - apparently they leave them on for charters. I, admittedly, but not intentionally have had my phone on before landing (I swear my iPhone is haunted.) Anyways, once I feel VM's and txt's come in I shut it off.

I'd personally like to be able to use my iPad, etc. But because it really annoys me when people do not follow rules, I always follow FA instructions and shut them all off.

LETTERBOY and Casey Friday like this.
  12. flyer_o

flyer_o Gold Member

Status Points:
    Casey Friday likes this.
  13. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    If we all got to choose which rules we wanted to follow, flying (or life) would be an interesting experience.

14. penumpang
    Original Member

penumpang Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would not notify the FA because things like this would give FAs yet another chance to power-trip over nothing.

15. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    FAs are trained to do their job and unfortunately for anyone or Joe Schmo the FAs must follow the FARs and in the FARs it states that electronic devices must be turned off under 10,000... So if someone isn't going to follow the rules I'll gladly allow the FAs to do their jobs.

16. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    And I believe if the FAs get caught/observed not enforcing the regulations, they will personally get in trouble (fined).

LETTERBOY and Flyer1976 like this.
  17. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Exactly and as a former airline employee I don't want to see this happen to anyone because some selfish prick thinks they're above the law.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  18. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    What's the difference between person 1 choosing to ignore the "no electronics below X thousand ft" regulation (because they think it's safe and an unnecessary regulation) and person 2 choosing to ignore the "no smoking on aircraft" regulation (because they think it's safe and an unnecessary regulation)?

That said... would I ring the call button if the guy next to me continued to read on his Kindle? Probably not, since I'd have to sit next to him for the next X hrs unless it escalates enough that he gets kicked of the plane. But if he was in the way between me and the emergency exit, I'd be prepared to push past him if he even appeared only slightly distracted. :D

Flyer1976 and viguera like this.
  19. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well to go along with that example though, smoking is a known, proven health hazard to you, even if you're not the one smoking. Not to mention that it bothers the guy next to you, behind and in front, etc. Plus if you fire up a match or a lighter inside a cabin, you're probably gonna get kicked in the face before anybody gets a chance to find out you were "only" lighting up a cigarette. :)

By comparison, unless you're listening to your tunes/videos without headphones -- or you're watching "questionable" material within sight of your fellow passengers -- the consensus from what I'll call "the no-turner-off'ers" is that they're not really bothering anybody.

20. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Fine, but the point really was that person 2 choose to ignore the rule because they don't believe it's necessary. Feel free to pick another example, though: person 3 brings a stash of booze on board and serves herself. Person 4 believes the limit on the number of carry-ons doesn't apply to him.

The point I was making was really that we all have our own opinions about the importance and validity of rules. Speed limits on empty highways, noise levels at parties, ... Should we all just choose to obey the rules we like? And to be honest, it's not like I don't go slightly over the speed limit if I deem it to be safe. But if I get caught, there's a fine and I am okay with that.

If there was a lobbying group (eBook reader manufacturers?) to push for the removal of the restrictions on (certain) electronic devices, that would be the way to approach this, not "Occupy SouthWest" style :)

21. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Person(s) 1, 2, & 3 are in violation of Federal Regulations... Person #4 is in violation of Airline Policy...

FAs must follow and enforce both Airline and Federal Regulations but the FARs supersede anything the Airline sets forth.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  22. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree!. The rule is the rule and we must follow it even we disagree with it. Just imagine what would happen if we would not have laws.......:eek:

LETTERBOY likes this.