Use Evo (Sprint) as hotspot for iPad

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by rangersfan, Aug 3, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. While flipping through my Evo, I saw a "Sprint Hotspot" button on my Evo. Looks like I can use that to create a hotspot using my phone data service. Does anyone know if there's an extra charge for that, if I wanted to use it to send wifi to my iPad, or my laptop? If it matters, I have the everything data plan (with the premium $10 data add-on).

2. aussieflyer
    Original Member

aussieflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I believe its extra.
    Although if you root your phone, you can get it for free.
    Google it. There are tons of very good tutorials on all things Evo.

3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    $30/month without rooting.

4. Grace
    Original Member

Grace Silver Member

Status Points:
    Engadget says AT&T is really putting the foot down on tetherers by texting them and calling them out on it. Sprint is advertising how their unlimited data is unlimited data with no throttling or imaginary caps. Verizon now has the tiered data plans so who knows how much longer the gravy train of tethering cell data plans through rooting/jailbreaking will last or Sprint changes their tune to fall in line with their competitors.

...Of course YMMV.

5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Is that fairly recent news? I know they did that maybe 6-9 months ago, and they never contacted me. I occasionally tether my iPhone when I urgently need Wifi and have no other options, but i don't go to extremes.

6. Grace
    Original Member

Grace Silver Member

Status Points:
    http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/04/atandt-no-more-unlimited-data-for-illegal-tetherers/

It was reported (again) today.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I suspect they'll find it difficult to add the tethering plan to my (corporate) account without my company's approval (and they don't approve it).

I love the way their text message is worded: "Did you know tethering your Smartphone to a computer requires a tethering plan?" -- uhhh, no, it just requires a 3rd party app called MyWi. :D

8. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm fairly sure they're doing this to iPhone users for some reason. I switched to a (rooted) Android device a while back and haven't received any warning from AT&T about tethering, even though I consistently use a few GB a month. Same for a few other people I know.

It's still ridiculous that carriers try (and get away with) charging people $20 and $30 a month to use the same data pipe on their phone but with another device.

9. Tivoboy
    Original Member

Tivoboy Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    There were two phones I believe that had a true blue android os on them, the nexus s, and I THINK the newer evo 3d., which allowed for hotspot tethering technically without having a plan. However, in the latest update from sprint the nexus s has eliminated that (probably from pressure from the carrier sprint) and most will too. It still is possible to root the android os to make it work, and on things like iphone and masque the data transport so they wouldn't be able to technically see it as being hotspot use, but I think from an aggregate data usage standpoint they can pretty much discern off planet usage

10. emajy
    Original Member

emajy Silver Member

Status Points:
    There is also PDANet an app for Android
    PdaNet does NOT require root access or hacking your phone's firmware in order to work. It is just a regular Android application that works on all Android phones as-is. click the link and read more. Cost $16.

11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Can it create a Wifi hotspot, though? If not, how'd you use it with the iPad?

12. Tivoboy
    Original Member

Tivoboy Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    yes, that is what it does. It internally binds your 3g/4g connection to your wifi connection and shares it. There is a 14 day free trial I think, so just give it a try. You device will go through power pretty quickly though.

i've used pdanet about six years now, works great

13. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, will try it. I used their Palm OS product many years ago.

14. u600213
    Original Member

u600213 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have a tethering plan on my AT&T Samsung Infuse 4G. It works for tethering to my iPad just fine but the battery life is only around 3 hrs with hotspot enabled vs 9 or 10 for the iPad itself so stay near a power plug :)

It happens that I have unlocked my Samsung and used it in the UK this week with a 3UK all you can eat data SIM. It worked great for on phone web browsing but I could not use the WiFi tethering capability. I have unlocked it but not rooted it. If I had rooted it and installed a 3rd party tethering app it would work and I will get around to that before my next international trip.