Use DL status, bank to AS?

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by daemon14, Mar 18, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Has anyone tried this? I'm but a lowly GM (the new FO). It's been in the back of my mind for a while that I should just start banking my miles to AS, especially now that I've gotten the ball rolling with an EK flight that will prime my AS account. Frankly, I am sick of Skymiles and don't care to earn anymore. I like Delta as a domestic airline but the miles are just useless for what I wish to do.

I never get upgraded on any of my routes (ex-LAX), although I do take advantage of the free bag (GM, but also Plat DL AmEx), Sky Priority boarding, and preferred seating in Y.

I know a lot of *A airlines have 2 fields to place 2 different accounts, so some folks will use one acct with *G for benefits, and another acct to bank miles in. Is it possible to do so with DL?

2. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I doubt it... You'd probably be able to use your GM card to access the security SP lane, but when it comes to boarding/seating/etc., it would be whatever level of status AS you have.

Ex-LAX upgrades are tough for many...as a DM it's been about 50-50 for advance/gate upgrades.

3. mtkeller
    Original Member

mtkeller Silver Member

Status Points:
    You might see if AS will give you a status match so you can hit the ground running and then accrue everything over there. Since they're not in an alliance, I think they have historically done status matches even for partner elites.

daemon14 and rwoman like this.
  4. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    That sounds like an idea ... GM matches to MVPG. From what I can see, I get mainly the same benefits (sans upgrades, but I'm sans upgrades now).

5. dgreen12
    Original Member

dgreen12 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Choose carefully on the status match --- it's a once in a lifetime opportunity. But if you think it's the best thing for you, go for it --- they'll status match you.

jetsetboy and ryandc99 like this.