Use Caution When Traveling With Encryption Software

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by sobore, Jul 15, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.nationaldefensemagazine....utionWhenTravelingWithEncryptionSoftware.aspx

If you bring a laptop or smartphone outside of the United States, you need a basic understanding of how international export control laws may apply to your device’s encryption software.

Encryption software that is resident on a laptop or a smartphone is subject to export control regulations by the Commerce Department’s Bureau of Industry and Security, which enforces the export administration regulations. This is a separate issue from any technical data that may be resident on a device, which is governed by International Traffic in Arms Regulations.

The level of regulation and available license exceptions under the export administration regulations for encryption software depends on its technical specifications and the public availability of the source code.

Read More: http://www.nationaldefensemagazine....utionWhenTravelingWithEncryptionSoftware.aspx

Gargoyle and uggboy like this.
  2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Honestly, I haven't thought about this, thanks for sharing.

3. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    do all the business travelers whose corporate issued laptops are encrypted know about this? (don't expect an answer)

uggboy and viguera like this.
  4. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    We use full volume encryption with stuff that's definitely subject to export controls, but you are expected to know -- required, if you follow the mandatory training courses -- to know what you can and cannot bring with you when traveling abroad.

With that said, I fully expect that anything that I can possibly have on my person has already been acquired a million times over by any foreign entity that has two brain cells and internet access.

Tenmoc, theBOAT and uggboy like this.
  5. theBOAT
    Original Member

theBOAT Silver Member

Status Points:
    FYI this also applies to my company-paid Blackberry, since it has encrypted email on it, too. We get reminder emails from corporate on EC laws periodically.

theBOAT

6. Seat6A

Seat6A Silver Member

Status Points:
    Isn't this much ado about nothing? Has anyone here ever had problems with a) an encrypted laptop being stopped, searched, held, etc.? or b) a confiscated laptop/device?

7. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    It can be serious though, just ask those people that have actually been stopped. What if some random official asked you for your passwords so they can get into your encrypted laptop?

8. Seat6A

Seat6A Silver Member

Status Points:
    i hope i would tell them i forgot the passwoord. i don't think we have to give it to them without a warrant in the us.

9. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    You would think so, but there is precedent for key disclosure, so it's a slippery slope. Certainly more so if you're sitting in a windowless room at the airport. I agree that it's BS, but there are quite a few very public cases already when people have been detained and asked for the information, under the assumption that their lack of cooperation would be used to deny them entry.

anileze likes this.
  10. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    You cannot deny a citizen entry into his/her own country.

viguera likes this.
  11. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, almost true... there's obviously cases where many governments (but most notably the US) has used extraordinary rendition to make sure people don't make it past customs.

But regardless of that, even if they can't deny you entry, they can certainly make things difficult. Just ask Jacob Appelbaum, he's a core member of Tor, and he gets detained and has his electronic property seized and searched on a routine basis, and he's as American as anybody.

anileze likes this.