Use AAdv miles to upgrade on other airlines in ONEWORLD?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Jdys, Aug 18, 2015.  |  Print Topic

?

What steps can I take to increase my chances of upgrading Econ tix to BUS in 2016 going to/fm Paris?

1. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Jdys

Jdys New Member

Status Points:
    My USAIR DM seems to have been converted to AADV miles after the merger. I want to buy Econ tix ATL-CDG or CLT-CDG and then use miles to upgrade to BUS. I can't see any AA non-stops ATL-CDG so maybe I shd use these miles for the nonstop CLT-CDG w USAIR??? Does anyone see a problem using AADv miles to upgrade a USAIR flight? I'd rather fly fm ATL, and BA does have a nonstop, but I read their prices and upgrades are tougher. Help! I have read that I must take care to buy Econ tix entirely on the airline w which I hope to upgrade so that's an additional concern.

MX likes this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to Milepoint. The US/AA split is going away effectively in October so for travel after that (i.e. the 2016 trip you're planning) don't worry about that aspect of things too much. It will all be AA then.

As far as upgrades on partners they are not easy but AA does have an option for upgrades on Iberia or BA metal. But you would have to buy the most expensive fares and it is not cheap. You're more likely to find a business class sale fare which is more affordable.

Finally, BA does not have a nonstop from ATL-CDG. That trip would be via LHR and I think you'd be better flying via CLT and connecting there than via London.

daninstl, MX, Gtitan and 1 other person like this.
  3. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is it possible or any easier by chance to use BA Avios for OW partner upgrades from economy to business?

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Avios can be used for upgrades more or less the same as AAdvantage, with the caveat that more fares can always be upgraded on "home" metal. But upgrades with points are not cheap. If travel dates are flexible I'd hold out for a discounted biz sale. They happen somewhat often and are a much better deal IMO.

daninstl and MX like this.
  5. Jdys

Jdys New Member

Status Points:
    Ty for yr help, but I'm a big "advance planner" and want my tix, apt, etc., in place at least 10 months out. Don't have Avios acct either.

daninstl likes this.
  6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Okay, but that will likely not work in your favor. Odds of finding a decent price, much less available upgrade space, that far out is likely to be low.

eponymous_coward likes this.
  7. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm sorry that the advice being given isn't what you'd like to hear, nor is it what you'd prefer to take. It is nonetheless good advice.

Also, are you trying to plan for travel in summer 2016, given your "10 months out" statement? You realize this is the absolute peak demand time for US->Europe economy class travel, right? Meaning highest demand/pricing for coach? In fact, it is quite possible that given the copays in miles and cash involved, that upgraded coach fares are going to cost you what a discounted business class fare might... and not yield you nearly as many miles (given that you will need to SPEND miles and cash to upgrade).

flyforawg likes this.
  8. Jdys

Jdys New Member

Status Points:
    My dates are Sept 3-Oct 9,2016...still hi season but not the highest I don't think. Thanks for all the ideas,esp applying for Citibusiness card in addition to the personal card...didn't think I could do that w/o a business. I'm also going to try to follow advice re purchasing Bus w miles rather than purchasing w $ and upgrading w miles. Any tips on the former? How do I best snag a discounted BUS tix CLT-CDG? I may try for BUS only outbound as the return is not so bad in coach. Thanks again all

9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    That is decidedly shoulder season for Paris. You're also at least 6 weeks out from being able to purchase tickets at all.

10. Jdys

Jdys New Member

Status Points:
    Right. Mt 50k AAdv miles shd post just In time. Was it u who told me I could also apply for an additional Citibank business card? Any tips on searching for discount Bus fares CLT-CDG? Ty

11. JDiver
    Original Member

JDiver Silver Member

Status Points:
    Buying a discounted BA World Traveller Plus seat transatlantic and using 25,000 Avios to upgrade to Club World might just be one of the best deals out there. And one can transfer AMEX MR to BAEC Avios (and spending Avios on AA domestic awards can be more cost effective, as well).

Spending AAdvantage miles on BA / IB upgrades, and particularly BA as it's only a one class upgrade - means buying exorbitant fares. "Just say no" to that "opportunity".