Use A Platinum Account to "Hold" an Award Reservation?

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by capitalsfn, May 18, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. capitalsfn

capitalsfn Active Member

Status Points:
    Hi,

I'm struggling at the moment to get my fiancee from MSN - DTW on the evening of June 9, returning on June 12th. I found a RT flight for 40,000 miles + $7.50, but it's not ideal (going through MSP and getting into DTW at 12:40am) and seems like a lot of miles. Actually, all the flights around this time seem really expensive, even from MKE.

Is there any hope that they'll release some 25,000 mile tickets? Can I use my soon to be father in law's platinum account to book the award ticket, then redeposit it at a later time so that I can grab the award ticket on my account? I'd hate to lose the chance to get this for an almost reasonable amount because I was holding out for the 25k award.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I'm actually taking that weekend to take my first mileage run: MSN - HND for 40,000 miles or thereabouts, so I'm pretty excited about that. Ridiculous that it would cost about the same for the ticket from MSN - DTW as MSN - HND!

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure I understand. If you book the ticket through FIL's account, then his miles will pay for the ticket. If you later want to book it to use your miles, you'd have to start over AFAIK and award inventory might not be available, even though you can cancel and redeposit his miles for free.

Depending on inventory levels, DL might release low award tickets closer to the travel dates, but this is a gamble when travel dates aren't flexible.

To me, 40K miles is a lot for this route, especially for undesirable times and routings. What would it cost to just purchase the ticket?

3. capitalsfn

capitalsfn Active Member

Status Points:
    MSP, I think you understand my questions - does redepositing FIL's miles put the award ticket back in the bucket it came from, which I would theoretically then book with my miles, or does something else happen?

Kayak pulls up a number of United/American flights around the same time for around $550.

4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    When you cancel and redeposit an award ticket, there is absolutely no guarantee that the seats go back into award inventory to be snatched immediately. Depending on loads for the flight and other factors, revenue management makes the decision.

5. traveller99

traveller99 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not quite the same thing, but I have been successful in changing the SM Account used to acquire mileage upgrades. Of course the deduction hadn't yet hit the first account. Don't know what would happen if you tried to do that on an Award Ticket.

6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's no problem to do this when there currently is upgrade inventory available. The agent should be able to check before trying to make the switch and potentially losing your upgrade in the process. If the miles haven't been deducted yet--in other words, when the ticket hasn't yet been rewritten to show the upgrade--you can probably avoid the redeposit fee.

7. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    Remember that the PM account should show better availability than a GM, FO, or no-status flyer (At least that is what they tell us one of our benefits are). I see 25k on my account (PM) and my wife will show higher pricing (FO).

Another option that may be cheaper is driving to Milwaukee and taking the high-speed ferry to Muskegon and then driving the 3 hours to DTW.

8. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    My understanding is that the enhanced elite availability only is offered when the elite is travelling. This is why the "are you travelling?" question appears when an elite starts to search for an award ticket. (Other carriers extend elite availability and other privileges when the miles come from an elite account, but DL does not.)

9. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is why I always travel. Sometime I have to cancel at the last minute tho....

10. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sneaky...but aren't afraid that if you do this too often, DL will discover and charge you the historical nonelite miles required for the tickets that were flown?

11. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    9/10 times I've switched to a revenue ticket for the same flight. I guess if every award ticket was like that, it may draw attention, but this is DL IT we are talking about here!