USbank credit card

Discussion in 'Other Credit Card Programs' started by jwsky, Apr 13, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. jwsky
    Original Member

jwsky Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have had this card for 36 years. It gives no miles or any perks. Over the years they have boosted my credit up to over 20k. Now they want $39 a year. They say it is because I do not use it. I told them it is because I like my US Bank Flexperk card better and also other companies' cards with bonuses. Then,I said okay, I will use it, will you cut the fee? No, they say. Too bad, so sad.

Should I keep this card? My FICO score is 800. I have a half dozen cards from 1 to 15 years.

Maybe some input from fellow milepointers will help me decide. Thanks for reading this.

alohastephen likes this.
  2. jt58203

jt58203 Active Member

Status Points:

I had the NWA Worldperks Visa and when the NWA/Delta Merger took place a few years back they issued me the US Bank Flexperk. The rewards were very lousy. About 2 years ago I had some dental work (I'm uninsured for dental) and spent around 3K. What rewards did I get? Nothing. I think I needed to spend another 2K to get a $50 gift card of some sort! Really, it was that bad! I dropped the card immediately.

Credit age is important and makes up 15% of your score. I understand your concern about dropping your oldest card. As part of the credit bureau calculation they also look at the average age of all your accounts, If you keep the 15 year old one you should be fine as all your cards put together won't get any younger. I would spend the $39 on a better rewards card.

Also, you can ask your other credit card companies to raise your credit limits.

3. jwsky
    Original Member

jwsky Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for your input.
    I have and use the flexperks card, which I got from the old NWA worldperks, same as you. Between the original sign up and double miles for grocerys I saved up 40k points. My wife and I used this for two tickets rt San Diego / Hawaii along with $50 in credit on the airline. An $800+ value. It has a $50 fee, which can be bought off with 3500points.

aptraveler likes this.
  4. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why keep a card with no perks that you don't use if they want to charge a fee? I can understand keeping such a card with no fee so that you have a long average account age, but keeping it in this case makes no sense.

If you already have some other cards, drop this one. If you don't, then apply for some new ones first because you don't want to lose the benefits of this long credit history before the application pulls your credit report.

Also, I've learned that $20K is nothing. You can usually ask for increases in your credit limit rather than waiting for an increase. I have three cards right now that each came with $20K limits I didn't ask for. Completely irresponsible on the banks' part. I don't even make $30K in a year.

alohastephen, aptraveler and jwsky like this.
  5. aptraveler

aptraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks guys, good input and good advice on this thread. I am pretty much in a similar situation. Got the card after the NW/Delta merger and although was much tooted at the time, never really got much benefit from it. Now that I have a 40k reward points, just want to use it and close the account. Maybe a little trip to FCA this summer, will put an end to it for me. There are certainly better offers out there! ;-)

6. KathInJax

KathInJax Silver Member

Status Points:
    Are you talking about the FlexPerks card? If so, have you been getting the FreeMonee e-mails? My Mother has been getting them, about 2-3 a month. No need to Tweet or sync, it is automatically added to the card. The only problem is that you can't choose the store.

I counted it up the other day and she has been given about $100 in rebates since November. She was a bit mystified at $25 back when you spend $25 at Williams Sonoma because she did not need anything at Williams Sonoma. I made her get a $25 gift card. When $10 at Pet Smart showed up this week, she went and got the gift card as we had just bought dog food.

7. jwsky
    Original Member

jwsky Silver Member

Status Points:
    This "FreeMonee e mail" is associated with FlexPerks? I never heard of it. Can you post a link that explains it, please.

KathInJax and aptraveler like this.
  8. aptraveler

aptraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the info, but me too I never heard about this email, and yes I was talking about the FlexPerks card! :)

KathInJax likes this.
  9. KathInJax

KathInJax Silver Member

Status Points:
    http://usbank.com/pdf/splash/freemonee/FreeMonee-terms-and-conditions.pdf

http://www.usbank.com/splash/credit-cards/free-monee-faqs.html?redirect=freemoneefaqs

She has been getting e-mails for a while - I think this is the full list:

$8 Domino's
    $5 Safeway
    $10 New York & Company
    $2 Burger King
    $4 Office Depot
    $8 JC Penney
    $4 Ace Hardware
    $5 Kohl's
    $10 PetSmart (Mar 8)
    $10 Pier One
    $25 William Sonoma
    $10 Office Depot
    $10 Pet Smart (April 12)

I do not know what triggers the e-mails, but in the FT thread other people mentioned that they were receiving it as well.
    The subject line reads: $10 of FreeMonee for PetSmart and the e-mail comes from US Bank.

jwsky and aptraveler like this.
  10. aptraveler

aptraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow, all of those!! Great then, thanks again for all the info on all of this. I will look into it and share back what I find! ;-)

jwsky likes this.
  11. jwsky
    Original Member

jwsky Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just read the FAQs and saw this "Because this is a new program, only select cardmembers have been chosen to participate in the program at this time." Hmmmm, maybe we should call and ask to be selected, too.

12. KathInJax

KathInJax Silver Member

Status Points:
    aptraveler and jwsky like this.
  13. jwsky
    Original Member

jwsky Silver Member

Status Points:
    aptraveler likes this.
  14. aptraveler

aptraveler Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thank you both, for the info you shared. I will follow your advise and check the links.

KathInJax likes this.