USAirways website award booking!

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by ckc123, Jul 12, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. ckc123

ckc123 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Decided it was time to post here instead of flyertalk. I was doing a search for an Award Ticket for my brother-in-law to Athens Greece in a couple of weeks and decided to use USAirways miles to do it, if I could do it. So I started on the USAirways website and started looking for the dates I wanted. All I could find was the high level awards (350k miles), it was crazy. I went to Continental and started looking there. I found more than one award for their 100k Star Alliance for business class redemption. It was a little bit different but went direct from CLT to either Rome or Paris and then did a connection on to Athens. Those routes didn't even show up on the USAirways site.

So it strikes me as funny that i could get an award on a USAirways flight using one pass miles for 100k and if i tried to use USAirways miles it would be 350k. How does that make any sense?

I'm sure if I was doing something wrong I will hear about it here but I just want to pass along my observations.

Chris

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  2. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    US Airways doesn't allow you to book *A partners online, CO does for many *A partners. Sounds like you were looking at US Airways own redemptions.

3. ckc123

ckc123 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yea, I figured that. It was all USAirways metal that I was looking at. So the fact that you could get something using CO miles for 100k compared to 350k for the same flights using USAirways miles for their own metal was just amazing to me.

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  4. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thats exactly how they want people to use their miles!

LETTERBOY likes this.
  5. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    PS, stick around and you'll learn a lot. US miles can be very valuable if used correctly. I just used them for an award that flew LX F and TK F and will be flying on Lufthansa's A380 in F next month (this was lucky because they historically block F awards on the A380).

Scottrick likes this.
  6. ckc123

ckc123 Silver Member

Status Points:
    JoneDeere19,

I know. I've only used them for *A redemption and never tried to actual use them to fly on USAir metal. I've gone to CPT four times in first doing this. Last time was the A380 FRA to JNB both ways. We lucked out.

travelinmike33 and JohnDeere19 like this.
  7. somempire

somempire Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have 120k DM and would like to fly business class to either Europe or Asia in May 2012. Would you recommend that I book flights on their partners?

8. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    You'll have to use partners to Asia, since US doesn't fly there.

9. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Even if they did, I highly recommend flying partners. Why not get another 5k miles and fly F to Europe?

10. somempire

somempire Silver Member

Status Points:
    I working on a flight to Auckland, NA instead Europe on Business. Do you have any suggestions? Have you heard of awardsbooker.com? They are working on a flight from ATL to Auckland. Are they trustworthy?

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  11. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've never used them, but a friend whom I trust started this company:
    http://www.redeemmymiles.com/

12. somempire

somempire Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the link. I will look into once they are up and running. My wife and I both need between 10k-20k DM. Will it be ok if we transfer miles to each other's account and get the 50% bonus miles? Is the the cheapest way to get DM miles?

JohnDeere19 likes this.
  13. ArizonaGuy
    Original Member

ArizonaGuy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hah. Yesterday, while booking an award PHX-YYZ-YUL, the agent told me, "The phone booking fee is waived because you can't book partner awards online yet but you will soon."

I had to bite my tongue. I wanted to say, "You mean like they said I'd soon be able to almost 10 months ago? And then will it show all 27 full member airlines as well as your non-*A partners? Starting / stopping in any region and selecting connection times of my choice including 23 hour overnight stays, possible 3rd region connections with stopovers or open jaws?" But I didn't.

What did I actually say? "That's great, thank you."

LETTERBOY likes this.
  14. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you could book US partner awards online, that would make their miles FAR more valuable to me than they currently are. That assumes that they have a respectable booking engine for partner awards, of course.

15. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think that'd make their site more valuable -- so we don't have to run around and do their legwork, then call them to book.

As far as their miles go, it could be worse (pointing at Delta) :)