USAirways Quandry

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by klgtex8686, Mar 14, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. klgtex8686

klgtex8686 New Member

Status Points:
    Hi Friends,

Question for you. As most know, USAirways is merging with AA and leaving Star Alliance after March 30. I have USAirways miles that I'd like to retain. I need to book a trip to Europe in the next few days. The trip will take place in May (after USAirways joins Oneworld). I need to know if I should book my Europe flights with Oneworld airlines (and use my USAirways number) or book with Star Alliance Airlines (and obviously still use my US Airways number). You put your frequent flier number in when you purchase tickets but it won't post to my account until after the flight is taken. I'm happy to do either Oneworld or Star Alliance I just want to know.

Thanks!

2. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are you trying to earn miles within OneWorld? If so, flying Star Alliance in May will not earn you US (or other OW) miles.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Correct, though you can change the FF number on the reservation even after it is booked.

I agree with MX that it seems you are booking a revenue ticket and looking to earn in a US account for May 2014 travel. You're going to want to fly a oneworld carrier to make that work.

4. klgtex8686

klgtex8686 New Member

Status Points:
    Yeah essentially I don't care if I earn OneWorld miles or not: I just want to grow the US Airways miles account. So it seems that you all have answered the question. The actual flight trumps the booking of the flight (i.e. I'll get miles when I fly and since I'm flying when USAirways is part of OneWorld, I should book with OneWorld partners). Is this your understanding?

MX likes this.
  5. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    You will not receive miles on US Airways by flying Star Alliance carriers after March 31st. If you want US Airways miles, book on oneWorld.

Except: US Airways has direct agreements in place with a number of partners, mostly in Star Alliance, that will not end on March 31st. The actual ending dates of those direct partnerships are not known, but most of them will probably still be operative in May. Those airlines will still earn US Airways miles.

Safest, however, is to book within US Airways actually alliance -- which will be oneWorld at the time of your flight.

boondr and klgtex8686 like this.
  6. klgtex8686

klgtex8686 New Member

Status Points:
    Thanks everyone! Really appreciate your expertise!!

7. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Jaimito Cartero Silver Member

Status Points:
    Actually, incorrect. The last day for crediting to US is March 30th. March 31st you can only credit to Oneworld.

satman40 likes this.